Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True Story or Not?: "Frunk opened at 115mph and caused $20k damage on brand new P85"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've often had problems closing the frunk completely when I first got the car. It's very easy to think you have it closed and only one latch is engaged. This leaves about 1 inch of air space between the cover and the body which at 115 MPH make a great air scoop.
For a car in this class you would think they would have a better design for this.

His story changes quickly. If you read the thread he states he received a call from Tesla, and now his story is that it wasn't his car, it was an extended test drive, and he wasn't going as quickly as he stated. He's already gone back and edited some of his previous posts to try to hide the fact that he lied about these two facts. I suspect that much of this is not what we're led to believe.

If you read the full thread on the other forum his whole story is completely unravelling.

Not actually his car. 1000 miles on the clock not 100. Extended test drive. Apparently he's 17. Tesla understandably pissed that he was doing 115mph in their car (though he has now retracted that claim). Photos are deeply suspicious since there's no wide view of the situation, just closeups of a few specific marks.

My guess is that it's BS. Or maybe he put his friend in the frunk and the friend hit the release button hidden inside while they were moving.

Extremely hard to imagine a frunk popping open from being securely double latched at any speed. And very hard to imagine setting off and driving with it partly unlatched since the car would be beeping and warning you the whole time.

- - - Updated - - -

I've often had problems closing the frunk completely when I first got the car. It's very easy to think you have it closed and only one latch is engaged. This leaves about 1 inch of air space between the cover and the body which at 115 MPH make a great air scoop.
For a car in this class you would think they would have a better design for this.

Obvious troll is obvious.

To leave the frunk with only one latch engaged and believe you had closed it properly you would have to be so unobservant and stupid that you should not have a licence to operate a motor vehicle. And the car will not exceed 10mph unless both latches are engaged.

Like I said, I call BS on the whole story. This guy crashed his test drive car and has made up a stupid story to cover it.

defective latch frunk opened at 115mph and caused $20k damage on brand new P85

So he was actually going 65mph. It just seemed liked 115 to him I guess?

Either totally made up or he's trying to stem the bleeding. Why would Tesla give an 'extended test drive' to a 17 year old anyway?

Did anyone save the text of the original post?

Like I said, I call BS on the whole story. This guy crashed his test drive car and has made up a stupid story to cover it.

I was wondering about that. I've had a hood fly up on me (in the 1960s) but fortunately I wasn't going very fast (maybe 30 mph). At 115 mph it would be a major miracle to not run into something by the time the car stopped.

Oh wow he really just deleted his first post and rewrote it to hide a bunch of lies. He's totally lying and smashed up a test drive car hahaha tesla logs will prove he's at fault I hope and I hope they make him pay for the damage. I wish I had a screen grab of the original text.

Priusmpg
Priusmpg Active Member

Your Vehicle Year:
2014 Prius Plug-in

Rainmanca said: ↑

"Where in Fremont is the shop I'm down for a party meet!!!!"

Actually it's on the border of fremont. 38582 cedar blvd. Newark 94560

Read more: Possible Monthly install meets. Bay Area-Fremont | Page 2 | PriusChat
Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

Kid claims he has an autoshop at this location.

Kid claims he has an autoshop at this location.
Zipin Out Newark, CA, 94560 - YP.com
zipin.png

Zipin-Out Auto Services Business Review in Newark, CA - San Francisco, Oakland, San Mateo, and Northern Coastal California BBB
Owner Abdul Khaliq

That kid is totally pwned.

Can't wait to see what Tesla says when they pull the logs (if they haven't already).

He said that he got a phone call immediately from Tesla when he turned traction control off.

The frunk story is just totally made up. He's 17 so can't be arrested for insurance or wire fraud, but man, he's brewing up a total ***tstorm for himself.