Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True Story or Not?: "Frunk opened at 115mph and caused $20k damage on brand new P85"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I moderate PriusChat. I've taken the thread down (after allowing the kid to dig his hole a bit deeper) and banned him for a month. Mostly took the thread down to keep any negative press from taking it out of context.

Good work, it would be nice to know if this actually happened. I can personally speak to the challenges of getting a test drive if you are under 25, it was a pia so I am surprised Tesla would allow it in the first place. At 17 are you able to legally be held accountable if something did happen to the car?

I wonder if it was actually his dad's customer's car that was in for some work, he took it for a joyride, crashed it, and is in a world of trouble now...

He showed a screen shot of his acknowledgement email on the Priuschat thread with his name (he PM'd me a photo of his driver's license and his name is a little different than his dad's (the shop owner)), so I'm inclined to believe that they did loan him the car...and I'm now certain that he's burned any bridges for anyone else anywhere near his age getting a loan for one--whatever he actually did to the vehicle. Still not sure about that given the very limited photos he shared.

Here's the screenshot he shared:
Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 4.52.00 PM.png

And his redacted driver's license:
IMG_0104.png

I moderate PriusChat. I've taken the thread down (after allowing the kid to dig his hole a bit deeper) and banned him for a month. Mostly took the thread down to keep any negative press from taking it out of context.

Crap.. I was in the middle of reading that thread and had to run out thinking "eh, I'll catch up on pages 3 and 4 later.." Doh!

Although I do now appreciate your "negative press" angle for deleting the thread. I sure hope the truth comes out eventually.

All hell is raining down on that driver today. I reported him to the Hayward office of the CHP this morning when I first read this thread. I provided an officer on duty with a link to the thread, who said he would contact the poster regarding his behavior. Unfortunately, CHP can only cite someone based upon observed behavior, but he said there is sufficient information here to have a conversation with that driver. I don't know if CHP ever did contact him, but if they did that might explain why he started editing his thread.

that's what it does on mine too? there's no second manual latch...if I click the frunk button on the fob the frunk is fully opened

I stand corrected just went and checked and mine does the same thing. I could have sworn that I used to have to use the second manual latch to open the frunk of course I hardly ever use the frunk so who knows.

I stand corrected just went and checked and mine does the same thing. I could have sworn that I used to have to use the second manual latch to open the frunk of course I hardly ever use the frunk so who knows.
If the passenger reaches under the dash and pops the hood manually with the lever, it will partially open and catch on the safety latch.

This makes sense. The hood might be released manually while moving because the car doesn't have an "in motion" lockout on the manual release lever.

It seems like certification agreed that no safety latch was needed for the electric hood release because the car includes an "in motion" lockout on the electric release,

If the passenger reaches under the dash and pops the hood manually with the lever, it will partially open and catch on the safety latch.

This makes sense. The hood might be released manually while moving because the car doesn't have an "in motion" lockout on the manual release lever.

It seems like certification agreed that no safety latch was needed for the electric hood release because the car includes an "in motion" lockout on the electric release,

Where is the lever under the dash?

Someone should forward a link to that site over to the Fremont Police and CHP. He is publicly admitting to breaking the law, he should be prosecuted for felony speeding. Sorry if any disagrees, but driving 115 MPH anywhere other than a track is irresponsible and should be punishable with jail time.

May I Interject: not only racetrack but also Autobahn, where permitted