Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True Up billing and credit question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a little confused with PG&E True-up Detail of Bill and Conditions.

My True-up bill will be due in Nov, 2022.

My most recent statement through August 09, 2022 shows a Cumulative Energy Charges or Credits for -830.40.

PG&E says "Following the True-up, generation credits and usage history are reset to zero and energy credits do not carry forward to your next True-up billing cycle".

I had thought that at the end of my True-up year, PG&E would pay me something for energy credits returned to their grid.

So what happens to my credits at the end of the True-up billing cycle.

If PG&E pays me nothing should I start using more A/C, etc to use some of those credit.

It is hot where I live and I am very conservative about the A/C usage.
I wonder if I should run more cooling through the house.

Comments????

My most recent statement through August 09, 2022 shows a Cumulative Energy Charges or Credits for -830.40.

PG&E says "Following the True-up, generation credits and usage history are reset to zero and energy credits do not carry forward to your next True-up billing cycle".

I had thought that at the end of my True-up year, PG&E would pay me something for energy credits returned to their grid.

If PG&E pays me nothing should I start using more A/C, etc to use some of those credit.

Comments????
Credits for Energy are lost at true-up. So use them before they are gone.

You only get a monetary credit for excess kWh generated over the year if you are a Net producer. You will get something like $0.04/kWh for that, independent of the Energy credit.

What is your current kWh usage for the year? Are you at Net producer (negative kWh) or Net consumer (positive kWh)?

My usage for the year Home Usage is 9.69 MWh.
My Solar Generation fort the year is 14.30 MWh.
My Powerwall Discharge is 2.86MWh
Net Grid Use -4.25 MWh

These numbers taken from the Tesla App today.

Recommendation based on these numbers????

I am not sure I understand what a Net Producer is, and why and how do you become one.

Would it even make sense for me to be a Net Producer?

Thanks for responding???

If your net grid use is negative, then you are a Net Producer. It will be based on what that number is at Trueup. If you ended with -4.25 MWh, it would be worth about $160.
My guess is that number will get less negative as you get into the fall months. If your AC is set high, I think you'd be better off using more of your solar production and being more comfortable. .04/kWh is not much compared to what you paid for the system

My usage for the year Home Usage is 9.69 MWh.
My Solar Generation fort the year is 14.30 MWh.
My Powerwall Discharge is 2.86MWh
Net Grid Use -4.25 MWh

These numbers taken from the Tesla App today.

Recommendation based on these numbers????

I am not sure I understand what a Net Producer is, and why and how do you become one.

Would it even make sense for me to be a Net Producer?

Thanks for responding???

Net producer = someone who, at the end of the entire 12 month cycle sold more energy to the utility than they bought.
Net consumer = someone who, at the end of the entire 12 month cycle bought more energy from the utility than they sold to them.

Based on your current credit, and the fact that you say your true up is in November, yes, you should likely run the AC more.

If your net grid use is negative, then you are a Net Producer. It will be based on what that number is at Trueup. If you ended with -4.25 MWh, it would be worth about $160.
My guess is that number will get less negative as you get into the fall months. If your AC is set high, I think you'd be better off using more of your solar production and being more comfortable. .04/kWh is not much compared to what you paid for the system
Yep, my upstairs is 70, downstairs 68

Comments????
The Utility Companies like to have us "confused".

It also depends on if you are with a CCA. Some CCAs pay more than the PG&E Net Surplus Compensation Rate, NSC, for the excess kWh. My CCA, SVCE, was paying at the retail rate until reduced it to twice NSC in April 2022. The NSC rates have been increasing with August at $0.05169 and the 12 month rolling average is $0.04418 which would be worth $187.77 for 4.25 MWh or with SVCE $375.54. Over 20 years it does add up.

It also depends on if you are with a CCA. Some CCAs pay more than the PG&E Net Surplus Compensation Rate, NSC, for the excess kWh. My CCA, SVCE, was paying at the retail rate until reduced it to twice NSC in April 2022. The NSC rates have been increasing with August at $0.05169 and the 12 month rolling average is $0.04418 which would be worth $187.77 for 4.25 MWh or with SVCE $375.54. Over 20 years it does add up.
One shouldn't need an accounting degree or be an electrical engineer to figure out our electrical bills with a Solar Panel system. We've had ours for 8 years, during that time SDG&E has spent many hours in front of the PUC degrading my investment.

OP not sure if you are part of Silicon Valley Clean Energy (SVCE) as your generator where you live, but if you are I believe they will send you a check for your credit portion at true up time if check is over a certain amount. Otherwise I think they will still roll over any credits below that to the next billing year. Our system didn’t get PTO until late in year and our credits back then rolled over. Hasn’t been an issue since then for us. Our last check was over $300.

• Disagree
Reactions: power.saver