Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Truhart rear camber arms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would just spend the little extra money and get the mountain pass arms. They are proven.

MPP - $390 shipped to USA (even after 10% off)
Truhart - $187 shipped.

Not sure 110% more is "just a little". I appreciate what MPP and others have done, but it's nice to have some solutions more focused on cost. At some point, someone has to try the new stuff, or nothing else becomes "proven." That's why I was asking if anyone had. The Truhart stuff gets pretty good reviews on Amazon for other cars. It's not like a adjustable length control arm is rocket science.

We need them to make some camber adjustable FUCAs for us- They have really well rated ones for the Civics for under $200 a pair.

MPP - $390 shipped to USA (even after 10% off)
Truhart - $187 shipped.

Not sure 110% more is "just a little". I appreciate what MPP and others have done, but it's nice to have some solutions more focused on cost. At some point, someone has to try the new stuff, or nothing else becomes "proven." That's why I was asking if anyone had. The Truhart stuff gets pretty good reviews on Amazon for other cars. It's not like a adjustable length control arm is rocket science.

We need them to make some camber adjustable FUCAs for us- They have really well rated ones for the Civics for under $200 a pair.

$200 is not very much money in the aftermarket world.

You get what you pay for.

You get what you pay for.

So should get the Unplugged ones or the SPL ones? They cost more than MPP so they must be better. Also, that's like saying an aftermarket lug nut at $10 or $200 "isn't very much"- ratios do matter.

Anyone that has worked in volume production very much knows that you don't get what you pay for. Low volume things are often very expensive and not well engineered.

Last edited:
Anyone that has worked in volume production very much knows that you don't get what you pay for. Low volume things are often very expensive and not well engineered.
True, but the Tesla performance suspension market is pretty thin at this point, so pretty it's hard for the low-margin high-volume model to work unless nearly zero effort went into engineering.

Reactions: MountainPass
MPP uses sealed spherical bearings on the camber arms and trailing arms. The Truhart photos aren't super clear but they look like bushings? Looking at photos for other cars, they look like cheap rubber bushings. In fact, in general, I would say the Truhart parts look pretty shoddy, though part of that is just because of the stamped steel look. I'm sure they are functional, otherwise they wouldn't be in business. But I wouldn't expect the same longevity nor weight reduction you get with the more expensive brands.

And yes, the shipping from MPP is ridiculous. $31 to ship the master cylinder brace...

I wanted to add one more huge difference: MPP and UP products are developed on the track for racing applications. The Truhart stuff looks like they have a formula for building parts and the Model 3 is just another car they can support. I doubt the are taking these to the track and testing them.

An analogy would be Eibach springs vs MPP coilovers. Eibach is in the business of selling springs for as many cars as possible and focused mainly on cosmetic changes. MPP spent several weeks sorting out the damping and design for their coilvers using telemetry on multiple tracks. Sasha's building his own race car for Pete's sake... (not a tesla: Kels The 350z Racecar Profile | OnPoint Dyno)

OTOH if you don't care about tracking, or the kind of R&D that goes into the other brands, then by all means, buy the cheap ones! :)

Reactions: MountainPass
So should get the Unplugged ones or the SPL ones? They cost more than MPP so they must be better. Also, that's like saying an aftermarket lug nut at $10 or $200 "isn't very much"- ratios do matter.

You should buy whatever you want to buy.
You get what you pay for. cheap parts are cheap for a reason, not because they don't feel like charging you more. It's cause they are crap.

Looking at photos for other cars, they look like cheap rubber bushings. In fact, in general, I would say the Truhart parts look pretty shoddy, though part of that is just because of the stamped steel look. I'm sure they are functional, otherwise they wouldn't be in business. But I wouldn't expect the same longevity nor weight reduction you get with the more expensive brands.

You are all aware that stock Tesla parts are stamped steel and use rubber bushings? You're basically saying they are as good as the stock parts. If all you want is camber adjustment, seems like it's perfect. Even MPP says this- their own site calls the stock rubber "durable."

I wanted to add one more huge difference: MPP and UP products are developed on the track for racing applications.
OTOH if you don't care about tracking, or the kind of R&D that goes into the other brands, then by all means, buy the cheap ones! :)

We're talking about camber arms here. Something that allows you to adjust the length of a rod. How many track miles do you require before you call them proven? Where can I get this data on track miles from the vendors? Also, you're aware that the main sales pitch for camber arms is street use after lowering? UP even sells specific street ones. We aren't talking about spring rates or dampers, which do need a lot of development.

You should buy whatever you want to buy.
You get what you pay for. cheap parts are cheap for a reason, not because they don't feel like charging you more. It's cause they are crap.

You're a victim of anchor pricing. By your definition, the only useful part is the most expensive part on the market. A Porsche Taycan costs a lot more than a Model 3. The Model 3 is crap, right? Or is it just that it achieves different goals differently?

Thanks for all the empty opinions based completely on price. If the TruHart arms are great, I'll make sure to keep that to myself.

You are wise and have made a great choice. Everyone should only buy Truhart parts, they are as good as anyone ever needs. Anything else is a waste of money. Thank you for blessing us with this information. Why pay more?

The Truhart arms are steel with what appears to be a rubber bushing. The adjustment of those arms is a lot more work than the MPP ones (which are aluminum with sealed spherical bushings). I've had both styles of adjustment, and the MPP approach is far superior.

Truhart arms should offer similar performance to the stock arms, whereas the MPP arms would offer notably improved dynamics.

I would not be surprised if the Truhart bushings wore out quickly with track use. Unfortunately, most aftermarket rubber bushings are not heavy duty or made to withstand track abuse, especially on a 4,100lb car.

At the end of the day, the MPP arms will always have good residual value. The Truhart arms, on the other hand, will likely be worth very little in used condition.

Ultimately, I think you will yourself underwhelmed with the performance of the Truhart's, and in the long term may end up buying two pairs after the originals wear out, or perhaps upgrading to the MPP's regardless. In 10 years of modifying cars, it never works out to buy the cheapest part (that doesn't mean you need to buy the most expensive either).

The Truhart's may work fine, but that's not the whole picture. Do it once, do it right, is what I have learned.

The Truhart arms are steel with what appears to be a rubber bushing. The adjustment of those arms is a lot more work than the MPP ones (which are aluminum with sealed spherical bushings). I've had both styles of adjustment, and the MPP approach is far superior.

Truhart arms should offer similar performance to the stock arms, whereas the MPP arms would offer notably improved dynamics.

I would not be surprised if the Truhart bushings wore out quickly with track use. Unfortunately, most aftermarket rubber bushings are not heavy duty or made to withstand track abuse, especially on a 4,100lb car.

Thanks for the most useful observations in the thread. The concern for the adjust-ability with the compliance in the bushing is not something I had considered. At the same time, in the rear of the Model 3, all of these control arms replace only one of the two bushings- the other is integral to the hub. So all this "rubber bushings are bad" or "much improved dynamics" seems to fall a bit flat given the number of them retained in the suspension if all you are replacing is the one control arm. Also, not sure if any of the aftermarket options have enough hours on them to know how they will wear out- hard mechanical joints aren't known as the most robust connections, and they're pretty expensive to replace. I had a Lotus Elise that needed a lot of replacements at just 20K miles. Never had a rubber bushing fail that fast.

Not saying your insights are not valid, just that it's hard to say how all of this will actually play out over a control arm being on a car for 5 years and 50K miles until people have that much experience with a variety of options. It is clear that TruHart's option is not as expensive to make and has some tradoffs (weight, bushings), but so do the stock parts on every car ever made. Hopefully we'll see more options like this for our cars and we won't all just discount them because they aren't expensive enough

Reactions: MaxwellN22