Here are the issues I have had with a 15-month-old Model S.
- Faced a medical emergency. Got into my car. The screen was black. The dashboard partial. Putting foot on the brake did not start the car. Message on the dashboard says "warming up" and I live in Arizona where it was 75°. Two finger reset does not work. Call California. Go through a full power off and power back on. Partial functionality restored. 20 minutes later my car can be used for the medical emergency. Support said it was probably a once-in-a-lifetime event.
- About three weeks later I experience the same event. This time the two finger reset gradually restored functionality. It was not a once-in-a-lifetime event. Support has no idea. They send a firmware update.
- Three weeks ago I'm driving at 80 miles an hour when the screen goes black and reboots. You lose significant functionality. Support has no idea what happened. They send another firmware update.
- I bring my car in for annual service. They attempt to replace the screen and computer. Firmware and the screen are incompatible and they have my car for three days before finding a resolution.
- While my car was in for annual service I have a HW1 model S loaner. I walk out to the car. The door handles pop out. I get in. The screen and dashboard are black. Touching the brake pedal does nothing. Two finger reset eventually brings back most functionality.