Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trump moves to rescind California vehicle emission rules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is going to try and rescind California's authority to set it own vehicle emission standards. Yes, the agency that is supposed to protect the Environment, is on a clear path to destroying all the progress made since these rules were put into effect.

Report: Trump will move to rescind California vehicle emission, EV rules

Anyone growing up here in the 1970's remembers Stage 1 smog alerts:

California%20Air_zps21ubciiz.jpg

Apparently the 6 Republicans left in California are being thrown under the bus by the Trump administration, since presumably they will be breathing the same air as the rest of us. This must be one of the unintended consequences of the Republican Party erasing itself from the political landscape out here.

Next up, forced construction of economically unviable Coal power plants with backing from the Trump administration under the guise of National Security.

One can only hope that the state of California ties this up in court for the 2-6 more years required until the clown car finally goes off the rails. I'll never understand how it is that any sane person can advocate for the wanton destruction of the environment. Can one of my Republican friends out there please explain this to me?

This is a case where whatever the outcome at the Federal level, the people who live out here are not going to accept "mandated dirtier air" as the result. Never gonna happen, mark my words. ;)

RT

Ditto for me.

It was especially bad during the spring forecasts of "late night and early morning low clouds clearing by 11AM."

Your picture from 1968 is bad, but I recall days when it was worse, especially if I were to be higher up in the hills.

Then we would get the Santa Anas in the fall and the wind would blow all that crap into the Pacific, and the air was fine!

First, the proposal won’t roll back emissions rules. It’ll stay the way they are (or rather, the 2020 goal will remain), so your hyperbole about 1960s smog is misplaced. This will in no way bring back leaded gasoline and 8 mpg cars.

Second, I have a feeling all the negative PR about this move will actually help the EV industry. Like you guys, people will think their gas powered cars will be destroying the environment even more than before. In aggregate, this will get more people to buy hybrids and EVs.

Third, by the time this takes effect (after going through three court levels and then the Supreme Court), EVs will be a much bigger segment of the new car market. I suspect ICE cars will have one foot in the grave by then...