Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk (aftermarket) lights keep falling off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I've installed a couple of lights in the trunk by now by attaching them to the inner-upper right & left plastic edge/lip of the trunk (plastic), however, they keep falling off and was wondering if anyone had any other alternatives (hot glue gun, crazy glue, etc) to keep lights from falling off without damaging the car itself.

The first one I used/installed was an LED array (48) and that kept falling off but I noticed that the back of it was pretty hot and over time the back of the LED array (where the sticky tape is) looked like it was overheated/burnt, so I think half of the problem there were the lights themselves.
The second one (I am trying right now) are LED strip lights which don't get nearly as hot - which I have confirmed.
But they also falling off.

I am tempted to use a hot glue gun, or a double sided tape to keep them up. Any other experiences or recommendations?

thanks!

Had a similar problem with my trunk lights, attached to the underside of the parcel shelf rails. The adhesive strip that came with the lights was a really inferior quality and they fell down after only a week or so. I ended up buying a roll of 3M double-sided automotive tape (from Amazon) and used it to attach the lights, after removing the old adhesive from the back of the light strip. They've been up for well over a year now, in hot and cold weather, no problems.

Reactions: Maximus8
Same here. Superior products, and I am pickey.

Scotchgard Pro 2 over Xpel or Suntech, every day, and I don't care what the kids say these days.
Scientific evidence pshaw, the only thing that matters is which five dollar bottle of chemicals can be sold for $500.

Seriously though, I worry about these chemicals over time and if they're all so great why don't any of the manufacturers use them at the factory?

Hello,

I've installed a couple of lights in the trunk by now by attaching them to the inner-upper right & left plastic edge/lip of the trunk (plastic), however, they keep falling off and was wondering if anyone had any other alternatives (hot glue gun, crazy glue, etc) to keep lights from falling off without damaging the car itself.

@totem: Have you considered the improved OEM LED lights from Abstract Ocean? These are a direct replacement for the existing lights, but much brighter. I just installed 3 in the back and one in the frunk and they make a huge difference while keeping the original look. Link to Amazon page HERE.

Scientific evidence pshaw, the only thing that matters is which five dollar bottle of chemicals can be sold for $500.

Seriously though, I worry about these chemicals over time and if they're all so great why don't any of the manufacturers use them at the factory?
I know, but it's our non-Free Market System where monopolists call the shots.

There's only a small audience for these films, but Tesla's paint is softer than many due to Cali regulations, so we have likely proportionately more demand.

I know, but it's our non-Free Market System where monopolists call the shots.

There's only a small audience for these films, but Tesla's paint is softer than many due to Cali regulations, so we have likely proportionately more demand.
I'd maybe trust the 3M stuff but it's either very expensive and only last a few weeks or discolors and or peels or some other such nonsense. Like for the last hundred years there's been a skin cream that this time, really does remove wrinkles.

You must not have gotten 3M. I trust them as much as Sears Craftsman tools, and I've bought those for 45 years.
Everyone has their opinion. This is mine, in all honesty.
Prove to me otherwise.
Craftsman quality's taken a nosedive recently, though, too. They moved a good chunk of it to China, and warranty replacement has gotten complicated for some of the lines.

In any case, 3M makes a fine adhesive. If you use high strength automotive (red backing), those lights will essentially be mounted permanently. Three 3/4" round pieces of it have held my entire front license plate bracket onto my other vehicle for going on 3 years now. Properly prep the surface and they'll be on there for good.

I second the AbstractOcean replacements, though. I swapped mine out and now my trunk is plenty bright, even in a very dark garage.

Reactions: Maximus8
Over the past couple of years Craftsman tools have been a little spotty, but there are still very good tools now if you're careful.

They have a new "Craftsman Eco" line (green handles), which is warranted only if you have the receipt! And they are cheaply built.

I recently needed a full set of 1/4" ratchet sockets and bought the "Eco". But I ended up taking it back and got the much better Lowes "Cobalt" set. Too bad Sears, I've been loyal for longer than most people have been alive, but I gotta have quality.