Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone has attempted aligning the trunk lid and could share some tricks? Mine has been through some stuff this month and is noticeably off on the driver's side. Began with the SC replacing the trunk latches after they got stuck and didn't align it properly. Then I was sideswiped while passing a truck, which left light scratches where the trunk lid meets the bumper. The scratches buffed out easily, so I'm not sure if the alignment was even affected by this event. Since then I've tried aligning it myself, adjusting the trunk latch positions and the positions of the rubber bump stops under the front corners. So far I've only succeeded in making it worse. :confused:
IMG_20161014_083153.jpg
IMG_20161014_083235.jpg

Mine just got back from some cosmetic work and they realigned the rear deck lid; they also told me that a latch had been loose both in the back and the front -

Seeing there is 1 latch per side, I'm figuring loosen the bolts just enough to allow some give of the latches against the body, but not too much, and use gentle pressure on the decklid to close and align - then open and tighten them down.

Side effect is the car is quieter! :) I guess some rattles were from front and rear lids being a bit looser than I thought

Removing the struts from the hinges makes the adjustment a lot easier.
1) Start by screwing the rubber bumpers all the way in, they just keep the trunk from shaking when closed.
2) Remove both latches and verify that the trunk will close in the proper position. If the gaps are still off, you will need to adjust the hinges-that is not an easy task and requires another person.
3) If the gaps and fitment look OK, reinstall the latches and snug them in the fully upward position.
4) As you close the trunk, adjust each latch so the striker on the lid is centered in the slot in the latch. This should allow the trunk to close and latch easily.
5) Slowly adjust each latch downward until the trunk is fully closed, making sure the striker is still centered in the latch slot. Tighten securely.
6) Unscrew the rubber bumpers until they just start to touch the body when closed. You can put a thin layer of petroleum jelly in the body pockets to see exactly when it transfers to the bumper. At this point unscrew them another 1/2 turn and tighten. If you start to see the gap increase in that area when closing or the trunk gets harder to latch, you have gone to far out.