Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk bag hooks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer to put shopping bags in the trunk and rarely use the frunk for trips to the supermarket. Unfortunately, there is nothing in the trunk to stop bags moving around and losing their contents. I have bought some bag hooks (intended for VW/Audi/Skoda) which would like to bolt/screw into the underside of the parcel shelf.

Has anyone tried to do this, or had other reason to drill/screw into the metal substraight?

Dave

I had seen those but I prefer (and bought) 2 of these PolarLander Cargo Trunk Bag hooks https://www.amazon.co.uk/PolarLande...eywords=trunk+bag+hooks&qid=1603735405&sr=8-1

Had them in previous Skoda and they work really well.

Was planning to use some short self tapping screws to fix to the metal but am just a bit unsure whether I need to get in between the felt parcel shelf and the metal substrate so I can make sure I avoid any cables.

There's one exposed bolt in the model 3 trunk that you can attach this too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BLF5XFH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0PWLFb5SBAWKP

I've not heard of anyone attaching their own to the underside of the parcel shelf. Guess it would be OK if you're prepared to make holes it it and you're cautious about weight.

Reactions: Masklin
It looks pretty easy to attach a hook to the M6 bolt, and that should be more than strong enough. I'm not sure that a self-tapper into the parcel shelf would be anywhere near as strong (this shows the AO version, but a 3D printed one would fit in much the same way):

• Love
Reactions: Jeeves
PLA with high infill is fine - there's a self tapping design as well.

My printer's about 20% of the way through printing one in white PLA at the moment. I'll use this as a test piece, fit it too the car and see what sort of a load it takes before it breaks. If it looks OK, then I've got some black ASA on its way (intended for another project) so I might try that, as black would look better.

The 3D printed hook seems surprisingly strong. This is the smaller of the two options (I chose the model with the "ring", seems to create a messy brim around the print):

Trunk hook printing.JPG

If anyone else is thinking of printing one of these off, I suggest choosing the model labelled "no ring".

The finished article is larger than I expected (this is the small version). It has a space internally to hold a captive M6 nut, so should be easy to fit. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll see if I can fit and test it.

Trunk hook.JPG

I have some tough, black, resin for the other printer, so may have a go at printing one off using the resin printer, as that will give a very smooth finish.

Reactions: Zakalwe
If you don’t use the under-boot floor storage you can always pop the boot floor section up and put carrier bags in there.

Alternatively there are several cheap trunk organisers available that you could fill from the trolley or that would take bags.

I printed one of those hooks, in black PLA and found the hole was too slack and didn't have a nut to fit it.
However a year ago I got a bag of threaded wood inserts from Ebay (for another project) and screwed one of them "up the bottom" of that printed hook and to my surprise it fitted perfectly, solidly and threaded nicely on that sticking out bolt thread from the top of the boot.

threaded_wood_insert.jpg

If you don’t use the under-boot floor storage you can always pop the boot floor section up and put carrier bags in there.

That's my solution. I moved the boot contents to the frunk so that sub-boot area is free for shopping or whatever. Wobbly shopping bags support each other well. Despite the frunk having the charging cables and the first aid pack it still has some room in there for a smelly carry out or small bag if needed.