TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trunk button for rear facing seat passengers?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Trnsl8r, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I seem to remember seeing mentioned here and there that there is a button inside the trunk that the kids riding in the rear facing seats can press to open the trunk. I feel dumb for asking this, but looking around the trunk I can't find it. Am I imagining things? I do think this would be a very important safety feature.

2. scooterrr

scooterrr Cogitating vanity plates

It's a switch (like for a car window), embedded on the side, reachable by the right arm of the child on the right.

3. XrstalLens

XrstalLens Model S P1327 VIN P01867

You have to bend down and look up to see it - it's kind of hidden underneath the parcel shelf track on the driver's side.

Also, it behaves just like the window buttons - push to close the hatch, pull to open it. We didn't realize that for a while and the kids were only able to close the hatch until they discovered the "pull".

4. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Dumb question, but what happens if pressed while driving?

5. XrstalLens

XrstalLens Model S P1327 VIN P01867

My 5-year-old has probably tried it without my knowledge, but I'm pretty sure it only operates while the car is in "Park". I'll confirm it for sure one of these days...

6. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

What would I do without this forum... Thanks everyone. Don't think I ever would have found that on my own...

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Confirmed. Car must be in park, or off.

8. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

It is also disabled by the child safety lock setting.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Interesting. Is that a Tech Package-only thing since only the Tech Package has the power lift gate? I don't have the child seats, but am going to have to go hunting to see if I have that switch!

10. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

There was another thread on this, and I believe (although I could be mistaken) that it required the child seat option.

11. strider

strider Active Member

Yes. They install the switch as part of the seat install. If you don't have rear seats you won't have the switch. I also "assume" it requires the tech package but since I have that option it didn't occur to me to ask if one didn't have tech.

12. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

With the choices Tesla has made recently, you probably have the auto lift gate. You just don't have the main button to open the hatch that tech package people have. :tongue: :rolleyes:

Although this reminds me of my last bmw. No button for rear fog lights, but they were there. You had to either make your own button or buy the european button panel.