Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk button for rear facing seat passengers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
I seem to remember seeing mentioned here and there that there is a button inside the trunk that the kids riding in the rear facing seats can press to open the trunk. I feel dumb for asking this, but looking around the trunk I can't find it. Am I imagining things? I do think this would be a very important safety feature.

You have to bend down and look up to see it - it's kind of hidden underneath the parcel shelf track on the driver's side.

Also, it behaves just like the window buttons - push to close the hatch, pull to open it. We didn't realize that for a while and the kids were only able to close the hatch until they discovered the "pull".

Interesting. Is that a Tech Package-only thing since only the Tech Package has the power lift gate? I don't have the child seats, but am going to have to go hunting to see if I have that switch!

There was another thread on this, and I believe (although I could be mistaken) that it required the child seat option.

There was another thread on this, and I believe (although I could be mistaken) that it required the child seat option.
Yes. They install the switch as part of the seat install. If you don't have rear seats you won't have the switch. I also "assume" it requires the tech package but since I have that option it didn't occur to me to ask if one didn't have tech.

Yes. They install the switch as part of the seat install. If you don't have rear seats you won't have the switch. I also "assume" it requires the tech package but since I have that option it didn't occur to me to ask if one didn't have tech.

With the choices Tesla has made recently, you probably have the auto lift gate. You just don't have the main button to open the hatch that tech package people have. :tongue: :rolleyes:

Although this reminds me of my last bmw. No button for rear fog lights, but they were there. You had to either make your own button or buy the european button panel.