Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Closes Immediately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like I've developed a glitch today with my Trunk. PreFace MS, whenever I open the trunk, either by the trunk button, or keyfob, it would open about a 3rd of the way and then move back down and closes itself.

The only way I can get it to stay open is if I manually push it all the way up as it's trying to close. The close functions and buttons works perfectly, it just won't stay open whenever I initially open it.

Anyone has any insight or similar experience and what I should focus on?

Why it would close by itself, I don't know. Try resetting the trunk limits of travel to the highest setting and see if it works better.

Adjusting Liftgate Opening Height

If Model S is equipped with a powered liftgate, you can adjust its opening height to make it easier to reach or to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):
1. Open the liftgate, then manually lower or raise it to the desired opening height.
2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for two seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.
3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the liftgate, then reopening it.

Why it would close by itself, I don't know. Try resetting the trunk limits of travel to the highest setting and see if it works better.

Adjusting Liftgate Opening Height

If Model S is equipped with a powered liftgate, you can adjust its opening height to make it easier to reach or to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):
1. Open the liftgate, then manually lower or raise it to the desired opening height.
2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for two seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.
3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the liftgate, then reopening it.

Thanks @DerbyDave, after a couple of days of dealing with this it seems to be working now.

I did as you suggested, raised it all the way up and set the height, and it stays open now.

Could have been the height sensor or something along those lines, but either way, all good now.

Reactions: DerbyDave