Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk closing but not locking..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this happen after mobile service did some work on my charge port door. I assume they removed the tail light assembly and then reinstalled it. When it was replaced I suspect the stops integrated into the tail lights were off by a little bit.

A simple fix - no need to wait for mobile service.

I adjusted the rear stops on the hatch. They are simple to adjust - loosen them a little, lower the stop and tighten. There are a couple of videos on YouTube out there that demonstrate. After a few tries it closed and locked with no issues 100% of the time.

This is the video I used to guide me:

Hope this helps!!

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I had this happen after mobile service did some work on my charge port door. I assume they removed the tail light assembly and then reinstalled it. When it was replaced I suspect the stops integrated into the tail lights were off by a little bit.

A simple fix - no need to wait for mobile service.

I adjusted the rear stops on the hatch. They are simple to adjust - loosen them a little, lower the stop and tighten. There are a couple of videos on YouTube out there that demonstrate. After a few tries it closed and locked with no issues 100% of the time.

This is the video I used to guide me:

Hope this helps!!

Thank you, I'll try that..

Mine is not latching suddenly about 3 weeks ago during a short trip. On the way home, MY just disable the AP and I have to drive manually. Had a mobile service came last week and confirm that the sensor is bad and the trunk door latch has to replace. The tech is very nice but he doesn't has the part with him and thus I have to wait for another appointment. Hopefully will get it fix this week (2nd appointment). I described the issue when I request the service request and if Tesla pay more attention, they can carry the part (if the part is available and is small in size) and 2nd appointment can be eliminated. I haven't drive the car for 3+ weeks due to this issue since it disable the AP and won't allow me to lock the car at all. Also, the A/C will come up from time to time (even I tun off temp control) and the car still used about 20 miles range of electricity per day.

Mine is not latching suddenly about 3 weeks ago during a short trip. On the way home, MY just disable the AP and I have to drive manually. Had a mobile service came last week and confirm that the sensor is bad and the trunk door latch has to replace. The tech is very nice but he doesn't has the part with him and thus I have to wait for another appointment. Hopefully will get it fix this week (2nd appointment). I described the issue when I request the service request and if Tesla pay more attention, they can carry the part (if the part is available and is small in size) and 2nd appointment can be eliminated. I haven't drive the car for 3+ weeks due to this issue since it disable the AP and won't allow me to lock the car at all. Also, the A/C will come up from time to time (even I tun off temp control) and the car still used about 20 miles range of electricity per day.

Just got the mobile tech came out and replace the latch and it works fine. The tech told me this is the first time that he as seen a latch issue for MY.

I had the exact same problem. I tried and tried adjusting the stops and it didn't help.

When the mobile tech came out to install the homelink, I had him look at the hatch. He was able to adjust it, but when doing so, the hatch was out of alignment and skewed to one side. My choice was either to have a poorly aligned hatch or have a hatch that didn't close without a little help. There was a third choice, which was to bring it in and let the heavy-hitters get involved. I had him re-align the hatch back to its original, perfectly-aligned state and was willing to live with the problem for the time being.

The tech suggested that we wait a while before bringing it in, hoping that the struts would loosen up and the rubber seals would get more pliable. It slowly got better as the days went on and now, nearly 3 months later, it closes every time.

My advice is you wait a while and use the hatch as much as you can to get it all broken in.

I took delivery of my Model Y on Sept 10th. When opening the hatch, about 50% of the time the seal would rub against the frame and stop the hatch from opening under its own power. About 30% of the time, the power shutting mechanism would not latch closed. Yesterday I took it to the Sterling VA (brand new, huge) Service Center.

They brought the car out after an hour and said they adjusted the hinges and now it all works. I tested it in the parking lot, and first time, it would not latch shut! They brought it back to the shop floor and it latched perfectly. Doing more research, it latches when the car is on level ground, but in their own parking lot the ground was not quite level, and it would not latch. Another hour of work, and they got it latching 80%-90% of the time.

They spoke with a service headquarters supervisor who said this is a known issue and ought to be solvable by a software update which will speed up the closing of the hatch. Presumably with more momentum the truck will properly latch. They also said that with a little time, the seals will "break in" and the fit will improve.

In the meantime, everyone needs to be careful, especially if it is raining!

The mobile app does warn me when the trunk is not latched.

The Sterling service center is testing location based unlocking and touchless servicing. You park the car in their lot and you leave with your key. They have authorization to open your car without any key as long as it is within the geofence of their facility. They said it works even on old Model S.

I had the exact same problem. I tried and tried adjusting the stops and it didn't help.

When the mobile tech came out to install the homelink, I had him look at the hatch. He was able to adjust it, but when doing so, the hatch was out of alignment and skewed to one side. My choice was either to have a poorly aligned hatch or have a hatch that didn't close without a little help. There was a third choice, which was to bring it in and let the heavy-hitters get involved. I had him re-align the hatch back to its original, perfectly-aligned state and was willing to live with the problem for the time being.

My advice is you wait a while and use the hatch as much as you can to get it all broken in.

Do you remember how the tech adjusted the hatch? I'm trying to align my hatch gaps better and curious the best way to go about it.