Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Closing Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our new 75D last Friday and encountered a problem I don't remember seeing described here. (We also have one FWD door with the phantom "obstacle detected" problem, but that seems sadly common.)

Around a third of the time when pressing the button to close the trunk, it will go all the way down, the latching motor will start to make noise and the door will start being pulled closed as normal. Then, there will be an "obstacle detected" beep and the door will release and open about an inch. (this is with nothing in the trunk area)

Gently pushing the door closed will cause the latching motor to engage and close it, but it's annoying to stand and confirm that it's closed properly every time (and then have to close it manually the ~30% of the time when it doesn't work.)

Anyone have a similar issue? The car is going into the SC for a (increasingly long) list of issues on Thursday, but i was curious if others have had similar problems.

I don't have this issue, but your description sounds like something is causing some additional resistance to the rear hatch, during the latching process.
  1. Check the seals around the perimeter to see if they are folded over or not properly seated.
  2. Make sure that there isn't anything getting caught between the door and frame.
  3. Finally, there are a couple of "stoppers" or bumpers that can be adjusted. You may need to rotate them clockwise a half-turn to lower them enough to allow the door to close without additional resistance.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
I don't have this issue, but your description sounds like something is causing some additional resistance to the rear hatch, during the latching process.
  1. Check the seals around the perimeter to see if they are folded over or not properly seated.
  2. Make sure that there isn't anything getting caught between the door and frame.
  3. Finally, there are a couple of "stoppers" or bumpers that can be adjusted. You may need to rotate them clockwise a half-turn to lower them enough to allow the door to close without additional resistance.

Thanks! I'll check these.

Thanks again - looks like it was #3. (Not sure if it came that way or if one of us bumped it or spun it when checking out the car)

Had same issue with FWD.....team replaced defective sensor and it seems to work now (small sample size though).

Unfortunately, front passenger door latch just failed (just picked up this week from SC after 2 weeks in repair) and none of the calibration techniques worked. Door had been repaired for window/seal issues....perhaps SC techs didn’t calibrate properly? Tech at National Service Center said they can do some remote fixes to doors now but his approach didn’t work. Hopefully, someone from Dania Beach can visit shortly. Can’t/won’t drive vehicle in which a door won’t lock. Getting old, will be 3rd time at shop since pickup in early May (1 week, 2+ weeks, ???? this time).

btw: test out your trunk to ensure that a “pinch” gets trunk to stop/reverse. Mine was broken and it wouldn’t stop closing ( a danger to anyone using and not aware). SC did successfully fix that for me....

Had same issue with FWD.....team replaced defective sensor and it seems to work now (small sample size though).

Unfortunately, front passenger door latch just failed (just picked up this week from SC after 2 weeks in repair) and none of the calibration techniques worked. Door had been repaired for window/seal issues....perhaps SC techs didn’t calibrate properly? Tech at National Service Center said they can do some remote fixes to doors now but his approach didn’t work. Hopefully, someone from Dania Beach can visit shortly. Can’t/won’t drive vehicle in which a door won’t lock. Getting old, will be 3rd time at shop since pickup in early May (1 week, 2+ weeks, ???? this time).

btw: test out your trunk to ensure that a “pinch” gets trunk to stop/reverse. Mine was broken and it wouldn’t stop closing ( a danger to anyone using and not aware). SC did successfully fix that for me....

Thanks for the info. Luckily we live about 15 min from the SC, so pretty easy for us to take it in - just a pain and a bit disappointing.