Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Cover Still Not Provided

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of our 21 Model S LR on 9/26 and we still don't have a trunk cover. Are there others who are experiencing this kind of delay? The SC can offer no time frame for availability. Seems like a small thing to expect quickly.

It is a new part on a new car. Besides the supply chain issues, I imagine they are not making any extra trunk covers for spare parts at this time. Every part they receive is already allocated to production if this part is still in short supply. You can have mine, but it won't fit. That is the first thing I remove from all my cars. Mine is in the basement.

We got the top cover for the whole cargo area when we picked up our car on Sunday...what was missing are the covers for the smaller recessed storage areas. No ETA from SC...it's not the end of the world but I have already had some larger items slide and drop into that area so it's not ideal to not have all the covers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyDave
It is a new part on a new car. Besides the supply chain issues, I imagine they are not making any extra trunk covers for spare parts at this time. Every part they receive is already allocated to production if this part is still in short supply. You can have mine, but it won't fit. That is the first thing I remove from all my cars. Mine is in the basement.
I guess my beef is that this should hardly have to come out of "spare parts." I never received one in the first place so their failure to allocate one to the production of my car is an error which they should address sooner rather than later. No, it's not important but it is inconvenient when I have things I want to place safely in the trunk and don't have that open flat space. If I was in charge of the business responsible for providing that part I would certainly be making every effort to up my production.

Reactions: CTDW and WilliamG
I guess my beef is that this should hardly have to come out of "spare parts." I never received one in the first place so their failure to allocate one to the production of my car is an error which they should address sooner rather than later. No, it's not important but it is inconvenient when I have things I want to place safely in the trunk and don't have that open flat space. If I was in charge of the business responsible for providing that part I would certainly be making every effort to up my production.
Agreed. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs.

They should not have shipped cars that were only partially assembled. I'd be really upset if my new car was missing anything, particularly the USB ports, and other parts owners are reporting as missing. I probably would have told them I accept the car, and I will pay when the missing parts are available and the car is properly assembled. I would also request a written list of all missing or non-assembled items on my new car. Hopefully this part is all you are missing. Tesla chose to leave parts off cars and not tell the new buyers of the omissions. As WilliamG and you are saying, it is a sad state of affairs.

I picked mine up on the 11th and it did not include the trunk cover. By trunk cover I mean the cover that prevents you from seeing in the trunk through the rear or side windshield.

I bought some all season tires and had my local service shop where I picked the car up originally and told them it was missing and received it the following weekend after I picked up the car initially.

I was a little worried about having difficulties getting it but everything worked out..

I received the cargo privacy cover but not either piece of trunk floor -- the lower cubby covers.

I'm within a mile or two of local service center. They had the left lower cubby cover but not the main cover... so "it should be shipped directly to you but it might come here to service" and I have an appointment in two weeks, but that seems more placeholder than an actual commitment to have the part.

Took delivery of my Plaid a week ago and the lower covers are missing. SC said they would be shipped to me. Looks like I may need to submit a service request. In the meantime I made a cover out of plywood to cover the large lower area. Cover it in black speaker carpet. Works great for now.

Took delivery of my Plaid a week ago and the lower covers are missing. SC said they would be shipped to me. Looks like I may need to submit a service request. In the meantime I made a cover out of plywood to cover the large lower area. Covered it in black speaker carpet. Works great for now.

Got my Plaid 2 weeks ago. My delivery center is about 400 miles away, so I made arrangements with them to have it delivered by one of their car haulers. While it was at their center, I called for information from their delivery team. I asked for the mileage on the car and if it had ALL of the parts that it should have. They told me it had 8 miles and that there were no missing parts. When it arrived at my house, it did have 8 miles on it but there was no lid/cover for the rear trunk. The package tray in the rear was there. I think that Tesla should have notified me before delivery that there were missing parts, and that their representative should not have lied to me.

Now I have an appointment tomorrow at a service center to pick it up, but that is a 140+ mile round trip. I would like to call first, but they are keeping their phone number a secret. They list a number on their web site, but it is a nationwide service number. I hope this is not a sign of things to come for dealing with future Tesla problems.

I would rather get my car without the trunk cover than have my car sit and wait for it to be delivered. Mine came that way too and it was no big deal, as it was delivered about two weeks later.

We could be like other car companies and have cars with no seat heaters and other things missing because of the chip issue. A trunk cover definitely is not a big deal to hold up a car.

Reactions: robert774
I picked up my LRS on Saturday. Mine was missing both lower covers, they managed to give me one for the main area but I now need to call to get one for the side. The problem with it is that they didn't tell me and I didn't even realize the side one was missing until I ordered my carpet protector set... Maybe they felt I already knew a lot about the car but they really didn't go through much with me. I had to ask about a few things, it was a little weird. Otherwise a pretty cool delivery experience when pre-doing things through the app :)