Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk doesn’t soft close but soft opens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, recently I noticed my trunk closes with a thud rather than being caught by latch and closing slowly for a few seconds. There is nothing obstructing the latch area. However, when opening, the trunk opens slowly the first few seconds (makes the soft open sound). Anyone experienced this before? I’m running 2022.12.3.2 . Thanks.

I tried these recalibration steps. No luck.

1. Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise the liftgate to the desired
opening height.

2 Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for three seconds
until you hear a confirmation chime.

3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the powered
liftgate, then reopening it.

I spoke too soon. Issue is back and I know why. My trunk only closes with a thud and no soft close if any window is open. If all windows are rolled up, then it will perform a soft close. Very strange. Firmware 2022.12.3.2 2022 Model Y performance with intel atom infotainment cpu.
Lack of pressure with window open will do this. Like closing a door with window open also takes less effort. Why the car doesn’t soft close in either scenario is beyond me.

Wait, am I missing something? I have a September 2022 Model Y (UK, made in China) and its trunk has never soft closed or soft opened, it always slams shut loudly before latching down and unlatches with a loud bang before opening. I didn't know that was something it was supposed to do? (I've just found this thread while searching for ways to make it a bit quieter)