Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk door sometimes unexpectedly shuts on my head!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's happened about four times since I received my new '20 X in late February. I'll be unloading or moving a few things around in the trunk and, without warning, the trunk closes on my head. I have become wary about it so am quicker to catch the door or jump out of the way when it happens. Yesterday, I was rigging some fishing poles using the inside of the trunk as a makeshift table and it tried to close on me 3-4 times during the process, without me walking away from the car or hitting any buttons on the key. I don't see that the X even has a setting allowing for automatic trunk closure. Does this happen to anyone else?? If so, any way to correct this?

Did you have your key in your pocket? If so, it is really easy to press one of the buttons with tight pressure on your pants and trigger the close all.

I have had the door close partially on my leg when I was sitting in the driver seat with the key in my pocket and cleaning up trash from a trip. The way to get around that is get a metal cage key fob or take the key out of you pocket and put it in the center console.

Pocket... Stop leaning on the FOB. :) I've done this so many times myself. It's always pressure on the FOB.

If you're in the driver seat, touching the brake will cause the driver door to close as well. Other than that, just be sure you don't have someone messing with you in the car, pressing the "close all" button. :D

One of the drawbacks is that the falcon wing doors and the back trunk doors is they do not have sensors present when they are going down to lock. If they hit something,, they will stop but they can give you a bang on the head. The doors have hit my girlfriend on the head twice when she was exiting the front passenger door and the FWD was closing on her side. I accidently closed the doors again on her yesterday, and they whacked her on the head again. I thought she was going to cry, she held her head for a minute or two, the yelled at me "I hate your car" and then fled into the pet store where we stopped.

Absolute requirement for Tesla's FOB

I'm kind of shocked Tesla has not had a major law suit with a kids skull getting split open or something.

Luckily my wife and I are tall and it didn't have much momentum when it hit out heads several times with the plastic door liner.
But if some kid is in the wrong place when a FOB gets an accidental pocket click, it could seriously injury a kid or (or worse) if a metal corner hits their soft little skull. It's only a matter of time.

Every FOB I've ever had, had all the buttons recessed. Not Tesla though, with MASSIVE overhead powered doors no less.

49518242536_7ffe8498c6_b_d.jpg

Aluminum is paramagnetic. In an electric field it become magnetic and will become attracted.

I think your head is a magnet.

Seriously, the easiest fix is place your fob in an area that can't be pressed while you're in the trunk. I bet many of us have had this issue. I know I have. When I swapped to a metal exocage to hold my key fob, the problem was improved a lot.Bought the key fob holder on Amaz0n as per a suggestion from a long forgotten post on this forum.