Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trunk/doors won't open unless I use open button in app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I am needing a little help here as I would rather solve here if possible than to have to submit for a repair as the nearest Tesla service center is 1.30 away. Lately, my model y has been quirky. The trunk won't open using the button on the car, only opens with the button in the app; the back and passenger doors won't open unless open from inside, tends to connect to my husband's phone instead of mine (when he is in the house and I am stand square in front of the driver's side door with my phone); spotify account just freezes up or appears logged out and have to log back in.

I list all these in case they may be related. Do wonder if this is due to an update. Currently running 2022.44.2. Will try the blue tooth on - off - back on. This is all a bit annoying so any you Tesla peeps recognize anything here with vetting, I'm all ears.

Hi. I am needing a little help here as I would rather solve here if possible than to have to submit for a repair as the nearest Tesla service center is 1.30 away. Lately, my model y has been quirky. The trunk won't open using the button on the car, only opens with the button in the app; the back and passenger doors won't open unless open from inside, tends to connect to my husband's phone instead of mine (when he is in the house and I am stand square in front of the driver's side door with my phone); spotify account just freezes up or appears logged out and have to log back in.

I list all these in case they may be related. Do wonder if this is due to an update. Currently running 2022.44.2. Will try the blue tooth on - off - back on. This is all a bit annoying so any you Tesla peeps recognize anything here with vetting, I'm all ears.
I’m having the same exact issue with my MY. Have you found a fix yet?

I just had that happen to my brand new Model Y. Just picked up on Friday. Thinking it was me just not knowing what I was doing. But mainly the driver side door is working fine, but I couldn’t open the hatchback at the rear of the vehicle. Worked fine from that app. I also could open the frunk from inside the car, but I think that might be that I wasn’t properly in park. Lastly trying to see what is the best way to open the passenger door. I have the car set to only unlock the driver side door for safety reasons, but when my wife walks up to the passenger door to get in, wondering what is the proper way to unlock the door for her without reaching all the way over and hitting the door button.

I have a 2022 MS and for several weeks the hatchback won't open using the mechanism on the car but will using the key fob or phone app. Very annoying, dealer is too far away for me to bring the car in just for this. I keep hoping it will be fixed with a software update but no luck so far, I'm on the latest 2022.44.25.1 Soft reboot doesn't help.

I'm having the same issue too and here I thought I was the only one. My frunk will only open from the app, not via the touchscreen in the car. The trunk will not unlock from the outside unless I physically open the app and tell it to unlock. This is all new to me as I just got the car a few days ago.

I am having the same problem with my Model 3LR. It started happening last month after a software update. I wonder if it has to do with the Safety Recall I got in the mail in November. It says: Certain model year 2021-2022 Model S and Model X, model year 2017-2022 Model 3 and model year 2020-2022 Model Y vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard ("FMVSS") No. 118 "Power operated window, partition and roof panel systems."
On affected vehicles, a closing window may exert more force than is permitted by ("FMVSS") No. 118 by pinching a driver or passenger before retracting. An automatic window reversal system that does not comply may increase the risk of a pinching injury to the occupant.
At no charge to you, Tesla will deploy an OTA firmware update to ensure compliance.
There is a number to call if I believe Tesla has failed or is unable to remedy this defect without charge in a reasonable time Can call 1-888-327-4236 to submit a complaint.
It has been over a month now and so very frustrating. The ONLY door that will open when I get to the car is the driver door. Can't even open the trunk from the monitor. I can press the unlock button on the driver's side when my family needs to open the door on their side.
Getting SO frustrating!!!

I am having the same problem with my Model 3LR. It started happening last month after a software update. I wonder if it has to do with the Safety Recall I got in the mail in November. It says: Certain model year 2021-2022 Model S and Model X, model year 2017-2022 Model 3 and model year 2020-2022 Model Y vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard ("FMVSS") No. 118 "Power operated window, partition and roof panel systems."
On affected vehicles, a closing window may exert more force than is permitted by ("FMVSS") No. 118 by pinching a driver or passenger before retracting. An automatic window reversal system that does not comply may increase the risk of a pinching injury to the occupant.
At no charge to you, Tesla will deploy an OTA firmware update to ensure compliance.
There is a number to call if I believe Tesla has failed or is unable to remedy this defect without charge in a reasonable time Can call 1-888-327-4236 to submit a complaint.
It has been over a month now and so very frustrating. The ONLY door that will open when I get to the car is the driver door. Can't even open the trunk from the monitor. I can press the unlock button on the driver's side when my family needs to open the door on their side.
With the recent update, you have you uncheck the option under doors & lock that says only Drive door unlock. Disable that feature it'll unlock all doors when you are in the proximity including your trunk. If that doesn't work, have you tried resetting the computer by holding both wheels down and release when screen goes dark.

As @sethkj noted, you need to disable the 'Unlock Driver Door Only' function that came in a recent release. Sounds like it set that as the default. Go to Controls > Lock > Driver Door Unlock Mode and turn it off.

Reactions: sethkj
for my model3 2023, running 2023.2.12, it’s the frunk won’t open from touch screen after parked, but can be opened from App, but trunk always opens no matter what. The frunk sometimes can be opened, the issue is on and off.
I took it to service with the issue, service team just told me you have driver door unlock mode on, you need to long press driver open for 5 sec before open the frunk. They didn’t not appear to work on it after telling me those.
I am not happy with this and suspect it’s a software bug, the engineering team should attend to it.