Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk driver's side weird space?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 3 yesterday, and I noticed this tonight in the trunk, left side. There's a space that goes down, and it looks like there's a rim, like there should be something resting on top to cover that area. Am I missing a piece? Is there supposed to be some accessory stored there I didn't get?

Hope the pictures are helpful in seeing what I'm talking about. Tried doing searches here, on Facebook groups, etc and couldn't find anything...

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_195640.jpg
    IMG_20180907_195640.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_20180907_195701.jpg
    IMG_20180907_195701.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 329
Perhaps a place to keep your tire repair kit? Or snacks... you can never have too many snacks you know.
Unfortuntely the original tire repair kit doesn't quite fit in there (but you can kind of wedge it in so at least it doesn't move around in the trunk if you don't want to use the velcro). Many cars have small compartments like this in the trunk to hold small items.

I store the following items in that cubby hole:

• 5 adapters for the portable charging cable (5-15, 5-20, 10-30, 14-30, 14-50) - don’t expect to ever use them, but they’re always handy
  • Tool from aero wheel kit to remove plastic lug nut caps
  • Suction cup to remove center wheel caps

Just don't keep anything valuable in there. Someone may feel like bashing in your rear quarter window to get access to the trunk by flipping down your rear seat. It seems to be mostly a California issue right now, fortunately.

It's a perfect spot for my quick detailing spray and some mf towels.

Can someone explain to me the issue with the small window being broken and access to the trunk? Wouldn't it be the same if they just broke a side window to let themselves in?

Reactions: WilliamG
BMW puts the releases in the trunk, which is just as good as a lock in my opinion.
My X6 had a latch on the top of each back seat. If you broke the rear window you could fold down the back seat. The trunk releases are required by law in case you lock yourself or somebody else in the trunk you can release and get out.

I just got my 3 yesterday, and I noticed this tonight in the trunk, left side. There's a space that goes down, and it looks like there's a rim, like there should be something resting on top to cover that area. Am I missing a piece? Is there supposed to be some accessory stored there I didn't get?

Hope the pictures are helpful in seeing what I'm talking about. Tried doing searches here, on Facebook groups, etc and couldn't find anything...
In the Model S, that's where the UMC was stored. They kept it the same for the Model 3.