TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Trunk fails to close sporadically - three beeps

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by KalTorak, Jul 15, 2018.

1. KalTorak

KalTorak Member

About one in ten times I attempt to close the rear trunk/hatch (I think always with the button on the bottom side of the hatch itself), I get three beeps instead of one, and the trunk doesn't close. Always seems to work the second time.

Anyone know what this is? No obvious connection to a sensor being blocked, at least none that I've found so far.

2. f-stop

f-stop Active Member

The trunk will do that if there's an obstruction of some sort.

Mine used to beep and not close sometimes for no apparent reason - it seemed mostly on hot days. Then I noticed there are two threaded rubber bumpers on the underside left and right corners of the trunk lid (see pic).
    IMG_9889.JPG
    There is a corresponding plastic landing pad on the edge of the trunk opening that makes contact with the rubber bumpers when closed.

If you look closely the rubber bumpers on the trunk lid are threaded, so giving them a twist moves them slightly closer or further from the trunk lid. I suspect your bumpers are slightly out of adjustment, probably extending slightly too far out i.e. hitting the landing pad slightly too early, causing whatever closing-sensor to trigger and not allow trunk to close.

I recommend marking their current rotation position with chalk or something for reference, then giving the rubber bumpers a slight clockwise twist (into the trunk lid) to slightly lessen the contact. That solved it for me (I think when it was hot out the expansion of the bumpers caused it to sometime fail to close).

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

I was noticing that I had the trunk closing issue on hot days, too! That was why the SC couldn't reproduce the issue. Thanks for the tip on the rubber bumpers.

4. David99

David99 Active Member

Yes the rubber thingies need to be adjusted right. If they are too far out it has trouble closing. If they are too far in, it will start to rattle while driving.

5. shadownddust

shadownddust Member

Thanks, this has happened to me a few times, and I couldn't make a connection as to what might have been the cause. One question though: How do those bumpers keep the trunk from closing even when it's wide open and not coming in contact with the sensor? Whenever I get the beeps, the trunk refuses to even attempt to close until I hit the button a second time.

6. David99

David99 Active Member

That's a different issue. There are a few possible causes. If it detects too much resistance it will stop and beep. If you stop it while it's moving it will also stop and beep. I think it will also stop and beep if it's still moving and you press the button or remote.