Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk hatch scrapping side when opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed this? When I open my MY trunk, it looks like the plastic light/reflectors on the hatch touch the passenger rear lights and makes a sound like it wants to get stuck. You can also see the hatch move sideways when this happens. This does not happen when I close it. My guess is that the mechanism to open the hatch is only applying force on the driver side and hence the hatch comes up a little crooked. Thoughts? Thanks!

Hello all, yes I am also having that very same issue with my tail hatch, funny thing is, it was fine up until this evening. I purchased the car last November and have had no issues and I come out to leave for work tonight and the problem was there, hatch pulling to the passenger side of the car and this huge gap is on the driver's side. Totally freaked me out. I am opening a service request, just very strange.

Hello all, yes I am also having that very same issue with my tail hatch, funny thing is, it was fine up until this evening. I purchased the car last November and have had no issues and I come out to leave for work tonight and the problem was there, hatch pulling to the passenger side of the car and this huge gap is on the driver's side. Totally freaked me out. I am opening a service request, just very strange.
The exact same thing is happening to me, just started about 15 minutes ago

The exact same thing is happening to me, just started about 15 minutes ago
Hi Vitiate,
So I took my car into service, they had not seen this issue until I showed up, they took my car and had to send it out to a third party, a body shop, to have it repaired. It took three weeks but it is finally complete and I got my car back. There is a weld at the very top of the trunk hinge, that's what broke on mine, I have attached a photo of the hinge. It isn't a quick fix.
20210421_053158.jpg
20210421_053116.jpg

Hi Vitiate,
So I took my car into service, they had not seen this issue until I showed up, they took my car and had to send it out to a third party, a body shop, to have it repaired. It took three weeks but it is finally complete and I got my car back. There is a weld at the very top of the trunk hinge, that's what broke on mine, I have attached a photo of the hinge. It isn't a quick fix. View attachment 655639View attachment 655640
Where did the weld fail? I am looking and not seeing anything that would indicate a broken weld

Where did the weld fail? I am looking and not seeing anything that would indicate a broken weld
It failed at the very top.
That is really going to suck. 3 weeks without a vehicle is going to be impossible for me.
Oh no, I am sorry I left this part out, but they gave me a loner vehicle, a Model S, it was a 2018, but it kept me going...Lol...I don't see you not being treated the same or better.
20210421_175334.jpg
20210421_175354.jpg

And attached you will see the broken weld.

Reactions: hellobye