TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Trunk height in garage

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by bikeandsail, Feb 28, 2017.

1. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

My trunk does not open enough in my garage. I try manual moving and getting the beep to set a new height. Next time it will still open only partially. I also look on the 17 inch screen to see an option to open higher, no option is on the screen.

Has anyone had any luck getting the trunk to open fully in a garage? If so how? My garage is high enough for it to fully open. After 11,000 miles and 8 months this is getting old.

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I too can't seem to set the max height from holding down the hatch close button until it beeps. I hope this feature comes back soon.

However, I believe you can still set it to open to full at all times (at your current GPS coordinates) from the touch-screen. I did this a while ago, but then changed my mind because I was too worried about it damage. If I could GPS-fence my suspension to VERY LOW when in my garage, it wouldn't be a problem, but that doesn't work either.

3. Yinn

Yinn Member

My AP1 does the same unfortunately. When out in the open it works fine, but I very much prefer the manual liftgate on my S at this point.

The car definitely needs more geo fencing options. This specific point, non directional setting can be frustrating.

Or at least an option to set it to VERY LOW in park....I would like that very much. The suspension setting lockout is already tied to the drive setting.

4. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Your only option is to do what I do. Email [email protected] and make an enhancement request. I've sent so many Emails, Tesla must have my Emails filtered to go into a junk box by now. ;)

5. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

This may not be a failure--but a design. My rear hatch opens partially in the garage, even though it appears it would clear the cabinet behind my X.

After pressing the open button once and the trunk stops short of fully opening, it may be detecting a near wall or cabinet. Simply press the open button a second time, it should open fully to the set height. Caution, when over-riding you are responsible to ensure the clearance --so watch so it doesn't hit a wall or obstruction.

Following several software updates to the FWD, rear deck and front doors, Tesla made all the doors open on the side of caution. That gives the owner/driver the option (and responsibility) to open the doors fully in any enclosed space. Following multiple customer issues and damage, Tesla adopted this conservative approach after trying to address all the various scenarios (overhead pipes, garage rails, ceiling beams, sign post, wall beams and even shrubs). The same holds for the FWDs and front doors. They will always open cautiously and require the driver to "over-ride" - after inspecting the surroundings.

The FWDs will ask (on the center screen), whether you desire to sent the GPS location to fully open, I do not select the option inside the garage, since I my be a little left or right or further back when I park.

6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

The Model-X uses the proximity sensors on the top of the fwd to judge safe opening height of the rear hatch. In an update sometime last year (~Aug), they changed the opening algorithm to try to be smarter and more conservative.

The sensors are limited since there are a small number of them, and the rear hatch is really out of range. It's entirely possible to be in a situation where the area above the fwd are clear, but there can be a concrete barrier or water pipe right above the rear hatch.

So what Tesla seems to have done is to use the roof proximity sensors to map the lowest point in a structure and then use that value as the safe maximum opening height.

This works fine in an underground garage, but in a residential area, the garage-door opening will limit the rear hatch height, even if the interior of the garage has 12' ceilings. Now, you do have the option to override the sensors at a set GPS location, but at your own risk.

7. travwill

travwill Active Member

1. When out of garage set it to maximum height.

2. It uses the single sensor on top of car between doors to judge opening height, this overrides any max height you set always.

3. It opens conservstely, for those with active spoilers even seems like more because it factors in the spoiler height for those without that is always up.

No change for this likely ever.