TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Trunk is now 5 inches longer than at the initial reveal.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by matblk, May 18, 2017.

1. matblk

matblk Member

[​IMG]
    Over on Reddit, user Autolycus25 made a composite image of the newly released Body-In-White and an oder image shown on Tesla's reservation page. Most of the core structural features line up. However, the trunk appears to be approximately 5" longer.

• Funny x 2
  2. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'm not convinced. Perspective can hugely change the apparent overhang at the front and back.

• Like x 1
  3. FlyNavy01

FlyNavy01 Member

Perspective? This is a direct overlay.

4. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

The image from the web site is nothing but a rendering. A drawing if you will. Not even an actual car. I wouldn't hold too much stock in the comparison.

Dan

• Like x 1
  5. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

would be nice if its true! I think the longer trunk greatly improves the look.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Grain of salt.
    Nice photoshopping though!

Incidentally, that photo is from a Tesla communication acknowledging a reservation cancellation.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Sadly I doubt it. A "render" is just a computer generated drawing like @Dan Detweiler said.
    There are a whole bunch of other renders out there that have all sorts of stuff missing on them with lines smoothed out etc.
    It sure makes it look pretty but is only to convey the idea or concept, not be dimensionally accurate.

8. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

Great example (also shared by Reddit user) of how camera position, lens, and zoom can affect the look of a photo.

[​IMG]

• Informative x 13
    • Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

2 different pictures from Tesla's M3 web page, they don't even line up. Only manipulation I did was flipping the silver one horizontally. The length between the front wheel and the nose on the brown/black(?) one seems longer than the silver one, the distance from nose to front door hinge matches, but the back 1/2 of the brown/black one seems much shorter. I believe the rendering on Tesla's web page can't really be used as an accurate measure of the car.

upload_2017-5-18_10-9-0.png

10. commasign

commasign Active Member

Only if the camera lens and distance is the same.

• Like x 2
  11. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Keep word here...most of the structural components. If not all are lining up, scale and perspective are off. While nice photoshop work, don't believe it for a minute.

• Like x 2
  12. McRat

McRat Active Member

I doubt the wheelbase changed. Unlike a pickup, a big wheelbase change in a sedan is major.

13. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

[​IMG]
    prototype vs release candidate

• Funny x 1
  14. matblk

matblk Member

[​IMG]
    More render comparisons to the recent Body-In-White image. [source]

15. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

I don't think that render of the body-in-white is accurate to scale. The trunk looks angled toward the camera.

16. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Before clicking I though there was actual news that Tesla said the trunk is 5 inches longer. Like others point out, a small perspective change is enough to warp the car's dimensions dramatically. Photos in general are not a good way to measure dimensions because conventional lenses can have parallax errors due to them using a perspective view. You need an object-side telecentric lens to be able to get good measurements (since that provides an orthographic view), but the lens element would need to be at least as large as the object (not practical for a car).

For the difference between a perspective view (where something closer would appear larger), and orthographic view (where everything is the same size no matter how close) see this illustration. Perspective is on the left, orthographic on the left. The red box represents how the view changes. You can see for perspective as you move farther on the z-axis, the view gets larger (and thus the same size object gets smaller).
    [​IMG]

Here's an illustration that shows the type of distortion that happens. Keep in mind a car is a 3D object. You aren't photographing something flat. So the edges of the car that are farther away from the camera will appear smaller, while the edges closer to the camera will appear larger.

[​IMG]
    https://www.edmundoptics.com/resources/application-notes/imaging/advantages-of-telecentricity/

• Helpful x 1
  17. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

hmm I don't know... I could be off a little on my alignment and scale, but I can't be this far off...(assuming Model 3 in white is original scale)

trunk.gif

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

#18 gregincal, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Why go off some picture of the body in white when the pictures of actual cars shows clearly tha the trunk is the same length.

• Like x 1
  19. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

It's not brown/black(?). That color is obviously Founder's Bing Cherry. ;)

20. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Maybe it's only 5 inches longer when excited.

• Funny x 17