Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk is now 5 inches longer than at the initial reveal.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
vew8kqyhs9yy.jpg

Over on Reddit, user Autolycus25 made a composite image of the newly released Body-In-White and an oder image shown on Tesla's reservation page. Most of the core structural features line up. However, the trunk appears to be approximately 5" longer.

Sadly I doubt it. A "render" is just a computer generated drawing like @Dan Detweiler said.
There are a whole bunch of other renders out there that have all sorts of stuff missing on them with lines smoothed out etc.
It sure makes it look pretty but is only to convey the idea or concept, not be dimensionally accurate.

2 different pictures from Tesla's M3 web page, they don't even line up. Only manipulation I did was flipping the silver one horizontally. The length between the front wheel and the nose on the brown/black(?) one seems longer than the silver one, the distance from nose to front door hinge matches, but the back 1/2 of the brown/black one seems much shorter. I believe the rendering on Tesla's web page can't really be used as an accurate measure of the car.

upload_2017-5-18_10-9-0.png

vew8kqyhs9yy.jpg

Over on Reddit, user Autolycus25 made a composite image of the newly released Body-In-White and an oder image shown on Tesla's reservation page. Most of the core structural features line up. However, the trunk appears to be approximately 5" longer.
Keep word here...most of the structural components. If not all are lining up, scale and perspective are off. While nice photoshop work, don't believe it for a minute.

Before clicking I though there was actual news that Tesla said the trunk is 5 inches longer. Like others point out, a small perspective change is enough to warp the car's dimensions dramatically. Photos in general are not a good way to measure dimensions because conventional lenses can have parallax errors due to them using a perspective view. You need an object-side telecentric lens to be able to get good measurements (since that provides an orthographic view), but the lens element would need to be at least as large as the object (not practical for a car).

For the difference between a perspective view (where something closer would appear larger), and orthographic view (where everything is the same size no matter how close) see this illustration. Perspective is on the left, orthographic on the left. The red box represents how the view changes. You can see for perspective as you move farther on the z-axis, the view gets larger (and thus the same size object gets smaller).
zyGF1.gif

Here's an illustration that shows the type of distortion that happens. Keep in mind a car is a 3D object. You aren't photographing something flat. So the edges of the car that are farther away from the camera will appear smaller, while the edges closer to the camera will appear larger.

fig-2-aot.gif

https://www.edmundoptics.com/resources/application-notes/imaging/advantages-of-telecentricity/

• Helpful
Reactions: CCWgr