Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk is now 5 inches longer than at the initial reveal.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an idea - quit trying to second guess and speculate on everything Tesla is doing, and just wait until Model 3's are available for test drives. Then bribe the Tesla person with $50 to drive to your house to test fit it in the garage. Or take your other car and a tape measure to the Tesla Store. Tesla can't say much now about the 3, to keep the Model S/X sales going.
I did that for a test fit of a Model S. Well, not the bribe part.
The S fit in a conventional 2-car garage (that is actually used as a 2-car garage) with a few inches to spare in length, and plenty enough room in width for the second car (Prius V). The length was tight enough, though, to not want such a big car under my roof.
Robin

IMG_20170520_110309.jpg

Parallax error is very dependent on focal length. Short lens will be the worst, something like a 500mm telephoto will be fairly minimal. Even 3d renders are generally based on a synthetic camera with a software specified focal length, so two 3d renders of the same vehicle may look quite different. Accordingly, there's an entire science of photogrammetry, the taking of measurements from photographs. You simply can't do overlays of two random photos of a M3 without knowing more about how they were taken.

Reactions: electracity
Out of curiosity I wanted to check how the dimensions of my Prius compare to the guesstimates for the Model 3 in the chart above. The Prius fits in the garage very comfortably with plenty of room to spare. The 3 will occupy the space next to it (we will keep the Prius, a superb car). The only difference in the chart is that the overall dimension of the model 3 has been semi-confirmed as 184.8" by Tesla as of today.
Overall length
Prius - 176.4"
M3 - 184.8" (although 8" longer not a deal breaker)
Width:
Prius - 68.7
M3 - 74.2 (5.5" wider is more of a problem in order to prevent door dings in the garage)
Height:
Prius - 58.7
M3 - 56.5 (means the M3 is longer and lower for a sleek look)
Wheelbase:
Prius - 106.3
M3 - 113.0 (wow, almost 7" longer wheelbase means a much smoother ride in the 3 which is already quite nice in the Prius)

So, the M3 will take up a bit more real estate than the Prius but It will work out fine once I have reconfigured the storage cabinets in the garage. I'm good to go! Delivery date can't come soon enough!

Reactions: gene
Out of curiosity I wanted to check how the dimensions of my Prius compare to the guesstimates for the Model 3 in the chart above. The Prius fits in the garage very comfortably with plenty of room to spare. The 3 will occupy the space next to it (we will keep the Prius, a superb car). The only difference in the chart is that the overall dimension of the model 3 has been semi-confirmed as 184.8" by Tesla as of today.
Overall length
Prius - 176.4"
Width:
Prius - 68.7
M3 - 74.2 (5.5" wider is more of a problem in order to prevent door dings in the garage)
Height:
Prius - 58.7
Wheelbase:
Prius - 106.3
M3 - 113.0 (wow, almost 7" longer wheelbase means a much smoother ride in the 3 which is already quite nice in the Prius)

So, the M3 will take up a bit more real estate than the Prius but It will work out fine once I have reconfigured the storage cabinets in the garage. I'm good to go! Delivery date can't come soon enough!
It's 8" shorter than my fusion, but wider with a longer wheelbase (if those 2 figures are correct).

That's where it counts really. It is 1.5 shorter if that figure is right, which is the only worrying dimension, but the glass roof should fix that.

Overall length
Prius - 176.4"
Width:
Prius - 68.7
Height:
Prius - 58.7
Wheelbase:
Prius - 106.3

Used to own a Prius and I kinda liked it (never called it "superb" though) until I got my Tesla, my guess is your Prius will soon be put out to pasture when you get your Model 3. I would start measuring your garage for two Model 3's ;)

Used to own a Prius and I kinda liked it (never called it "superb" though) until I got my Tesla, my guess is your Prius will soon be put out to pasture when you get your Model 3. I would start measuring your garage for two Model 3's ;)
We have owned Porsche, Jaguar, and MBZ as far as higher end cars. We bought the Prius with every bell and whistle offered. I call it "superb" because it does a lot more than the other three marks, it is way more comfortable, much easier to maintain, and it is fun to drive. It is a great value and it does some things that the Model 3 probably won't. Perhaps we will get two model 3 at some point, but I am hoping that the 2nd one will have a lot more options offered at some time in the future like SAS, memory driver's seat, auto windows, auto trunk lid, and reliable FSD. I know it will cost as much or more than a base MS, but we prefer the packaging of the Model 3 compared to the MS.

Reactions: Jayc
I don't see why it's crazy. The Q5 uses the same platform as the Audi A4, which is the Model 3 competitor. I'd expect them to be about the same length and width.
Logically it makes perfect sense, but it just further confirms in my mind that the Model 3 is not a small car. The Q5 fits in my garage fine, but it's much easier to get my wife's 2007 Corolla in there. The Model 3 may end up being her car. I'm not sure how she'll feel about a car the size of the Q5 that has half as much cargo space as the Q5.

So are we agreed that the Model 3 trunk cargo capacity is indeed 14 cu ft - half that of Model S ?

My Prius has an official capacity rating of 21.6 so that is going to be a significant downgrade for me. Looking at the images though, the Model 3 trunk seems quite big but maybe the actual depth is limited due to the way they have maximized cabin space.

Any further thoughts ?

I'm a bit disillusioned now reading these measurements of the Model 3.
I thought it would offer better room economy than it apparently does. Why? At 184.8 inches (about 4.70 metres) it is more than 20 centimetres (almost 14 inches) longer than my 330 Cd, yet the cargo capacity is 20 litres less - even though it has a frunk as well, which my car hasn't.
Not really satisfying to know.

Overall length
Prius - 176.4"
Width:
Prius - 68.7
Height:
Prius - 58.7
Wheelbase:
Prius - 106.3

We are comparing a Model 3 to a Prius? That's a sub compact. That shouldn't impress anyone.

Compare apples with apples.

• Disagree
Reactions: T34ME
We are comparing a Model 3 to a Prius? That's a sub compact. That shouldn't impress anyone.

Compare apples with apples.
It is apples to apples as both Prius and Model 3 are midsize. The apples to oranges part is due to the Prius being a hatchback.

It matters if you're moving tall stuff like a chair or something. If you're putting groceries flat along the bottom and not stacking things then the extra cargo space of a hatchback is useless.

Reactions: Jayc
It is apples to apples as both Prius and Model 3 are midsize. The apples to oranges part is due to the Prius being a hatchback.

It matters if you're moving tall stuff like a chair or something. If you're putting groceries flat along the bottom and not stacking things then the extra cargo space of a hatchback is useless.
There is absolutely no way on earth I'm going to consider a Prius to be midsize. I don't care what the auto industry says.

The Chevrolet Impala /Malibu and the Prius in the same size category? Give me a break.

I can't believe it....a 1.8 liter midsize car (prius)?

I know its not your fault....you didn't classify the cars.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: T34ME and JeffK