Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Issue - Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Closed rear hatch last night and display shows that it's open and continues to beep for part of drive home. Interior lights on as if trunk is open. But it's closed and will not reopen. Now, everytime I get in, car chimes for about 2 minutes everytime and displays that trunk is open. Same for app. I cannot open or close it. Tried forcing it both from the inside and outside to no avail. Have appt next week but is there anyway in the meantime to manually open? TIA

This happened to me yesterday AM (Dec 2016 P100D). Drove to service center and they were able to work me in, as my first available appt was for Nov 30. The truck latch and trunk closing cinch had failed. They had to disassemble the trunk hatch from inside to get it open (I had tried the internal emergency release cable, but it broke off in my hand when I pulled it). No way to manually open it. Took them 2 1/2 hours to complete the repair, although the trunk closing cinch (CABLE - CINCH LIFTGATE Part #: 1008186-00-B) is still on order. I have to manually push the trunk to get the final closure for now until the part arrives next week.

My biggest issue is you cannot lock the car if it believes your trunk hatch is open. Do not leave any valuables in your car, and activate “PIN to drive” if you haven’t already done so.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
I had some cloth resting in that recess where the closing chinc of trunk would normally go so was able to pull open as latch was not locked. If you think there would be any soft or hard item blocking it to be closed/locked would be good to try to pull open...

This is annoying as hell, and I had it happen. The worst part for me is that Autopilot wont work when this cinch motor is broken, and it broke right before a weekend where I was driving 12+ hours on highways. Just had to suck it up and get it fixed the following week.