Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Latch failed and replaced 3 times in 3 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Just wanted to check if anyone has any experience with consecutive trunk latch failures? After installing 2020.48.26 on a model X delivered in March 2020, the trunk door will not latch.

Tried troubleshooting and resetting with support from the local Tesla service center on WhatsApp video call and we confirm that the latching mechanism is dead. Their initial service check indicates that the actuator is not getting the correct signal to lock onto the hook. The trunk opening/closing mechanism is still working though.

The car gets towed and the mechanism gets exchanged. Three days later the trunk latch fails. Tesla sends a mobile support vehicle to replace the latch and locking mechanism. One day after that the trunk latch fails a third time and Tesla sent a loaner Model 3 while they are doing a more extensive root cause analysis.

Anyone else heard about issues with the trunk latch after an SW-update? It seems unlikely to have 3 replacement HW-units fail in a row due to poor quality or sloppy installation, so my guess is some local control unit has been corrupted when installing the SW update on the main computer.

Though that also seems unlikely as the norm for the car industry (worked at Volvo Cars a while back) is to have embedded SW for each local control unit, doing simple things like closing the trunk or rolling down windows. Surely it would not be edited or reflashed by SW-updates downloaded online? Normally such changes to the embedded systems are done by service engineers using CAN-tools.

I had my trunk latch fail when I left my car at the airport too long and the battery completely drained. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but the rear hatch was how entered the car as the doors wouldn't open with the dead battery.

The Tesla service center replaced the latch and it was fine from then on - but it was somehow a very strange failure. I suspect that something happened with the battery being completely dead. Both the HV battery and the 12V battery were dead.

I guess I would suspect your 12V battery first as the doors are powered by the 12V battery I believe.

I know this is an old thread but wondering if you ever resolved the issue? I'm in a 2021 Model Y LR but had 3 trunk latch failures in 3 months (mine aren't as quick as yours). It's going back to the shop this week to fix it (assume it's another HW replacement as the last 2 were) but wondering if you found anything else out, thanks!