TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trunk Latch Failed

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Doug_G, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Tonight my trunk latch failed. I went to open the trunk and it went clunk whirr clunk and stayed closed. Tesla had earlier made some adjustments to the latch to try and stop that from happening - wasn't the first time. I just hit the button again and it opened.

But when I went to close it, it didn't latch. And nothing I can do will make it latch. Tesla is going to retrieve the car tomorrow.

Anyone else run into this before?

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Never heard of that happening Doug. Out of curiosity though, if you start or try to drive the car (slowly!) are you getting the dash warning alert that the trunk is open?

3. Kalud

Kalud Member

... but don't go 100km/h in reverse, your know what would happen! #sarcasm

Never heard of that issue Doug.

4. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

My trunk latch broke and was replaced in March of this year. Rear hatch would not latch shut. Non-tech, so not sure if that's your issue. The good news is no exhaust fumes were sucked in while I drove to the SC.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I don't recall anyone posting about a trunk that wouldn't latch before. Very unusual. I am also curious to know if you see onscreen warnings about a rear trunk not closed, and if there is an audible warning. Sounds like there should be.

@BrassGuy, relieved to hear that you did not suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning

6. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

I had a problem with the trunk latching on my car when I firstpicked it up on delivery almost 2 years ago. The technician simply adjusted a few things, it was a five minute fix.

7. scottm

scottm Active Member

On which car?
    At how many km on the odo?
    Would you say you are a heavy trunk user (every trip, twice).. kinda thing?

8. wcalvin

wcalvin Member

Maybe the manual (emergency) release cable kinked.

9. russman

russman Member

I wonder how much that would cost out of warranty to fix. Really need to come to a decision in the next year on getting the extended warranty or not, which I think is expensive at the $4k + deductible price. At $2.5k no deductible, I would do it in a heartbeat, as that's around what I paid on my previous 3 cars.

10. Atebit

Atebit Member

Tesla replaced my trunk latch a fee months back because it was making a terrible straining noise when it went to latch down the trunk. Sounds much better now & no further issues. I've had the car about nine months, two open/close cycles per trip typically.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Sig Model S #2006. About 37,000 km. Yes I open and close the trunk frequently.

- - - Updated - - -

And off she goes to Montreal Service. They didn't have the trailer available on short notice, so it's on a flatbed - a first for me. Seems ironic since the car was quite drivable... except the trunk was always open and you can't lock the doors as a result.

Took us an hour to figure out how to hold the trunk closed - figured it out on the third attempt. We popped off the cover of the internal mechanical trunk release, put a hook in there and put the strap around the floor section between the main footwell cubby and the charger accessory bag cubby, then back to the trunk release with another hook.

IMG_3659.JPG

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It's back home again. Trunk latch now works smoothly - better than it ever did before.

IMG_3673.JPG