TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Trunk Latch Problem

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by pedriscoll, Jul 23, 2016.

1. pedriscoll

pedriscoll Active Member

I had my car interior detailed today. When I picked up the car the trunk latch would not close. The guys at he shop tired everything they could think of but we could not get it to latch. No help from Tesla service except that the Service Center will call me on Monday. The trunk is heavy enough hat it stays closed so the car is driveable. Anyone else had this problem? I do not have the power lift gate. No prior problems with this. The retailers only opened the trunk to clean inside. If anyone knows of a simple solution please let me know.

2. Buddy

Buddy Member

Long shot but is it possible that the latch closed on itself? I've seen this before and could be possible if they cleaned the latch and it...well latched.

If it is closed on itself I'm not sure how to unlatch it, unless unlocking the hatch normally works.

Best of luck.

• Like x 1
  3. scottm

scottm Active Member

There's a frunk release cable under the glovebox area....so says my manual. Never used it tho.

Maybe not in the newer cars? But have a look.

4. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

No ideas offhand but I'd be interested to know if your problem has a similar cause to a nearly opposite problem that a couple of us had earlier this year where our trunk latches were jammed shut and wouldn't open. There was a discussion of it here on TMC. IIRC the resolution was to replace the liftgate actuator (matter of fact if you search for the words "liftgate actuator" you'll probably find the thread).

Good luck!

Bruce.

• Like x 1
  5. Julesp313

Julesp313 Member

Uh oh... that's what happened to me when I got my windows tinted (two weeks into ownership). The vendor was massively apologetic and really concerned that his team had somehow damaged the latch, but the Service Center could find no evidence of damage. The mechanical latch simply failed. The service center got me in immediately and had it replaced within 1.5 hours, so I was very appreciative of that. Hopefully by now you've had a chat with the Service Center and got it resolved...

6. Chatterbox

Chatterbox New Member

My 2014 Model S trunk latch decided it would not latch anymore. The automatic closing (or manual pull down) gets the trunk to the right spot, but the latch no longer engages and locks the trunk in place. While getting home, on every large bump, the trunk would swing open a tiny bit and then slam back down. I have a service appointment in 2 days.

7. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Funny, my 2017 trunk latch failed yesterday it’s in the service center today for a replacement.

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Likely the cinching actuator is not working. It’s a small electric motor at the base of the lift gate that cinches the latch. Water can damage it. I know this because when I was rear-ended in June the shop had to replace the cinching acutator. Without it working the lift gate was always showing open on the touchscreen and I could not lock the car.

9. Chrisanne

Chrisanne Member

Before I even taken delivery of my MS, the trunk would not latch. Mine has the motorized trunk and using the fob it would open fine, but when it tired to latch, it would fail and just re-open all over again. The only way I was able to get it to latch is to manually close it and give it a firm press down to have the car lock it. The SC said they seen it before, and they said they can fix it if it continues to do it again.

I am taking it into service this week.

10. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

My car has non-power liftgate. My trunk latch broke again last Friday, Feb 9.

This is my FOURTH trunk latch break. I have all the service invoices.
    The first was March 2014 (about 6 months old), warranty fix same day.
    Second May 2015 was while I was on a road trip. Warranty repaired (during the trip) while I waited.
    Third was October 2015. I had over 50k miles then, but was replaced "goodwill" since it had been replaced less than a year prior.
    (I asked to watch the tech change it out since I anticipated more breaks, and was allowed.)

I use the trunk quite often; several times a week putting instruments in for rehearsal which would mean at least four open/close cycles each of those days. I have not had another car break trunk latches, even with frequent use. I sure hope Tesla improves this part soon.

I'm replacing it myself this time. The part is about $40 from Tesla.

11. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

Re-resurrecting this thread.

My fifth (manual lift-gate) latch failed after only 2 months, this past April. I took the trim pieces off and unplugged the connection so I could at least lock the doors, and get rid of the error message on the IC.
    I was expecting parts warranty, but the service center replaced it for me good-will and installed the trim I'd removed.

My sixth failed this past weekend, on July 7. In dismay I stopped by the service center on my way home, and they replaced that one for me too while I waited. I think the service center has gone above what they need to, since I'm at 126,000 miles. This latch thing is way out of hand though.

THREE latch failures within a 6 month span. I also don't understand why the forums aren't littered with these. I would guess manual latches are in the minority of Model S, but am I the only one consistently going through these?