TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trunk Latch Problem

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by pedriscoll, Jul 23, 2016.

1. pedriscoll

pedriscoll True Blue Tesla Fan

I had my car interior detailed today. When I picked up the car the trunk latch would not close. The guys at he shop tired everything they could think of but we could not get it to latch. No help from Tesla service except that the Service Center will call me on Monday. The trunk is heavy enough hat it stays closed so the car is driveable. Anyone else had this problem? I do not have the power lift gate. No prior problems with this. The retailers only opened the trunk to clean inside. If anyone knows of a simple solution please let me know.

2. Buddy

Buddy Member

Long shot but is it possible that the latch closed on itself? I've seen this before and could be possible if they cleaned the latch and it...well latched.

If it is closed on itself I'm not sure how to unlatch it, unless unlocking the hatch normally works.

Best of luck.

• Like x 1
  3. scottm

scottm Active Member

There's a frunk release cable under the glovebox area....so says my manual. Never used it tho.

Maybe not in the newer cars? But have a look.

4. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

No ideas offhand but I'd be interested to know if your problem has a similar cause to a nearly opposite problem that a couple of us had earlier this year where our trunk latches were jammed shut and wouldn't open. There was a discussion of it here on TMC. IIRC the resolution was to replace the liftgate actuator (matter of fact if you search for the words "liftgate actuator" you'll probably find the thread).

Good luck!

Bruce.

5. Julesp313

Julesp313 Member

Uh oh... that's what happened to me when I got my windows tinted (two weeks into ownership). The vendor was massively apologetic and really concerned that his team had somehow damaged the latch, but the Service Center could find no evidence of damage. The mechanical latch simply failed. The service center got me in immediately and had it replaced within 1.5 hours, so I was very appreciative of that. Hopefully by now you've had a chat with the Service Center and got it resolved...