TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trunk latch sticks and struts are weak

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by asgard, Jun 2, 2016.

1. asgard

asgard Member

One side of my trunk does not open consistently. It sticks every other time. I have greased the latch but that did not work. Seems like the electromagnet may be failing.
    Also, the struts that lift up the latch are getting pretty weak. My car only has 17k miles. Seems like these parts were not built to last.
    Are better aftermarket supplies available or am I better off going to Tesla under warranty?
    Thanks.

2. MileHighMotoring

Your car is still under warranty? Then let them fix everything. If not, hydraulic struts failing isn't (in my vehicular experience) indicative of cheap or substandard parts, it's pretty common and easy to replace.

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Don't ever grease the latches, it attracts dirt and dust. Reason the latch on one side is sticking is that the cable needs to be adjusted on that side, I created a thread on this issue of the stuck trunk issue.

4. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

+1. Don't grease the cables either.