Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk LED lighting kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
This is one mod I really like and that’s why I’m posting the before and after pictures here. Note that in the darker before picture I do have the brighter side trunk lights installed but as you can see it still doesn’t do the job. The after picture has the light strip. This does the job. Right now they have 20% off so that’s $59.00 which is a great deal. The install took 3 minutes. Watch their install video, it’s so easy.

Trunk LED Lighting Strip For Models S, 3, X, & Y ( $59 with 20% )

EC94D417-A351-4E39-A9BF-45825BA24E7D.jpeg

7F4D7C1A-93ED-4698-BEF4-4D74F71C12B0.jpeg

Fred

can you please post a bit more on the parts and process you used for this?

You can buy a spill of LED’s anywhere (Amazon) but it’ll require you to solder the red/black wire on to the strip of lights. Most people don’t know how to do that and it requires something else to buy (solder kit) so in the end you come close to just buying the kit from this company.

I can’t tell what connectors he’s got going on in the picture.

My concern is the adhesive, it gets balls hot here in Vegas and adhesive has a hard time with the heat. Wonder how long it’d last.

Anbes Soldering Iron Kit Electronics, 60W Adjustable Temperature Welding Tool, 5pcs Soldering Tips, Desoldering Pump, Soldering Iron Stand, Tweezers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZ31W3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IhlIEbWYNKJP3

Tasodin Water-Resistance IP65, 12V Waterproof Flexible LED Strip Light, 16.4ft/5m Cuttable LED Light Strips, 300 Units 3528 LEDs Lighting String, LED Tape(White) Power Adapter not Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HRMOM8O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kilIEbSV9GTXS

Thanks for you reply. I can solder but wasn't sure (since I haven't investigated at all LOL) where to tap into. I suppose you just need to find the wiring for the factory trunk light.

Yeah, it’s just using the existing connection and then running the power cables to the strip of LED’s. If you can solder I’d say go for it. Definitely cheaper and you could customer the location of LEDs’s.

I just did the two LED upgrade for $11 on ebay... super easy, no wiring/soldering etc and goes a long way towards brightening up the trunk... Harder to understand why Tesla wouldn't make this standard as the OEM LEDs are so, so inadequate.

Thanks for you reply. I can solder but wasn't sure (since I haven't investigated at all LOL) where to tap into. I suppose you just need to find the wiring for the factory trunk light.

Just use a T tap to tap into either side where the trunk LED is. The ends are soldered to the LED strip where the cut ends are. Shouldn't be more than 10 minutes of work.

Great work, but I am concerned with the flexible LED strip as these bare strips are fragile and I've had lots of bad experiences with them. It looks the LED bar is durable and will last long.

The flexible LED strips are either good quality or crap. I have a roll of LED strips with a plastic clear coat over the strip for protection. I also thought about 3D printing a strip housing bar just like the one from RPM tesla but I didn't bother.

So I ordered the five ultra LED from abstract ocean but now can’t figure out where they’re supposed to go!

the ones in the trunk are circular.

all I could figure out was to replace the glovebox.
Anyone know where the other four are supposed to go? The footwell lights came separately.

Thx!