Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk lid hits bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My trunk lid seems to hit the bumper of my car when closing it. There are two clear lines on the left and right side of the bumper where the lid comes down (in the paint). Is there any way to easily adjust the closing of the lid so that it won’t hit the bumper? Or should I schedule a service appointment?

• Informative
Reactions: EchoDelta
I know there are rubber bumpers on the trunk lid that get adjusted to level both sides of the trunk. Maybe they are in too deep? I would be careful adjusting too high and affecting the seal on the trunk and possibly water getting in. I’m sure this is a simple fix.

I took it to service. My bumper was damaged due to misalignment in the trunk. They couldn't buff it out, so they replaced it with a completely brand new bumper under warranty.

I just got back from the service center for this and a windshield replacement due to a rock..

They couldn't adjust the rubber bumpers any further so they "adjusted the bumper itself"
Now I have a 6 month old model 3 completely missing paint on the two corners of the trunk lid, and a worn through clearcoat on the bumper. They conveniently ignored this. Now where my bumper meets the weatherstripping of the trunk down near the latch, you can see it's been pried downward too.

I can't wait for this fight. I'll never take possession of a car in the winter months again. IMG_20200527_173351.jpg IMG_20200527_173842.jpg
IMG_20200527_173849.jpg
IMG_20200527_173351.jpg
IMG_20200527_173842.jpg
IMG_20200527_173849.jpg
IMG_20200527_173351.jpg
IMG_20200527_173842.jpg

Sorry to see. Looks like you also have either the a. old trunk weather stripping or b. the current one but wedged under the rear bumper skin.

Any more central bumper cover and trunk latch area shots?

Interesting. This is an Oct 2019 model 3. The rubber weather strip IS between the bumper cover and the body

The weather strip does look different near the latch, it's kind of "up" more. Here's a shot of it head on...and another showing how since they "adjusted the bumper" there's a gap that keeps popping open in the center maybe exacerbated by the weather strip?. I've also got a huge gap on the left of the trunk lid now... Great!!

On my second visit to the SC they used touch up paint on the hatch and buffed the scuffs off the bumper as much as they could (not much)

Attachments

• IMG_20200609_131257.jpg
    IMG_20200609_131257.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20200609_131316.jpg
    IMG_20200609_131316.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG-20200606-WA0023.jpeg
    IMG-20200606-WA0023.jpeg
    687.2 KB · Views: 201
Interesting. This is an Oct 2019 model 3. The rubber weather strip IS between the bumper cover and the body

The weather strip does look different near the latch, it's kind of "up" more. Here's a shot of it head on...and another showing how since they "adjusted the bumper" there's a gap that keeps popping open in the center maybe exacerbated by the weather strip?. I've also got a huge gap on the left of the trunk lid now... Great!!

On my second visit to the SC they used touch up paint on the hatch and buffed the scuffs off the bumper as much as they could (not much)
The flange on the gasket should stick out, to cover the rough seam edge of the bumper cover. Tesla has been misinstalling it for ages.

As for that huge gap, it could be the bumper cover isn't fully clicked/clipped into whatever holds it in place, as that gap seems extra wide. As for the left side gap, how's the right side look?

Here's how the gasket flange should look:
IMG_3199.jpg

And the full length:
IMG_3198.jpg

Start up here to pull out the flange gasket:
IMG_3190.jpg

And how it looks down at the bottom, as you work your way around:
IMG_2783 (1).jpg

The flange on the gasket should stick out, to cover the rough seam edge of the bumper cover. Tesla has been misinstalling it for ages.

As for that huge gap, it could be the bumper cover isn't fully clicked/clipped into whatever holds it in place, as that gap seems extra wide. As for the left side gap, how's the right side look?

Here's how the gasket flange should look:
View attachment 549675

And the full length:
View attachment 549676

Start up here to pull out the flange gasket:
View attachment 549677

And how it looks down at the bottom, as you work your way around:
View attachment 549678
Sorry I didn't reply sooner...but thank you so much for providing those pictures. The fact that it's tucked between the bumper cover on my car is likely contributing to the bumper separation issue.

I had a loaner when they touched up the paint that had it installed incorrectly as well (and already had paint damage from the trunk lid hitting it...on a car with only 1500km on the odometer.)

The right side gap is perfect..

I had the same issue with the left side hitting. I removed the taillight and noticed the clips were off. I loosened the 10mm bolt, pushed it in more and tightened the nut. Now its got some space between the trunk/bumper

Attachments

• 20200816_154600.jpg
    20200816_154600.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 186