Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk light briefly turns on and then goes out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our trunk light used to work fine. At some point a weird behavior started. When I open the trunk, the lights in the trunk briefly turn on and then off again. They are only on for about a 1/2 second before they turn off again. I have not noticed any other lights having problems except for one of the rear reverse lights, which I need to get fixed.

Has anyone experienced this?

Reactions: guggie1
I was hoping this was a more common issue that would be easily solved. It almost seems like a software thing since it turns on briefly. Maybe we both have a bad sensor? But then the car’s display always knows when the trunk is open. So it really feels like software…

Ya same here, was hoping it would be common. I’m also having some other issues that i didn’t have before version 11 came out. My audio cuts out in all the speakers in the car now. The subwoofer is also not working at all so I’m just getting the singing from songs. The radio is crackling all the time so I can’t even use regular radio. I guess it’s time to book a service appointment

I having the same issue, when I open the trunk light will turn on 2 second than it will turn off. I used a meter to measure the voltage of the lights, it shows 14 VDC when the trunk open than no voltage.

I believed this caused by a short circuit somewhere in the wiring hardness. The light turn on for a second, the system detected a short and went to auto protected mode.

When I talk the Tesla service about it, they tech was BS saying I might have a bad light bulbs and etc...

Mr. E Musk get your tech better training please, stop BS it's not the light bulb issue when there is no voltage detected.

Please share any resolution for this issue, if Tesla fix it for you...

Thank you!

Our trunk light used to work fine. At some point a weird behavior started. When I open the trunk, the lights in the trunk briefly turn on and then off again. They are only on for about a 1/2 second before they turn off again. I have not noticed any other lights having problems except for one of the rear reverse lights, which I need to get fixed.

Has anyone experienced this?

I can send over a priest to perform an exorcism :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: Darmie
I having the same issue, when I open the trunk light will turn on 2 second than it will turn off. I used a meter to measure the voltage of the lights, it shows 14 VDC when the trunk open than no voltage.

I believed this caused by a short circuit somewhere in the wiring hardness. The light turn on for a second, the system detected a short and went to auto protected mode.

When I talk the Tesla service about it, they tech was BS saying I might have a bad light bulbs and etc...

Mr. E Musk get your tech better training please, stop BS it's not the light bulb issue when there is no voltage detected.

Please share any resolution for this issue, if Tesla fix it for you...

Thank you!
Tesla fixed it for me by replacing the wiring harness. It is a free recall on the vehicles.

My trunk lights stopped turning on about 2 months ago on my 2019 Long Range RWD. Eventually I got around to trouble shooting it, replacing my aftermarket lights with the original lights (I could have a used a meter too, but I was lazy). I then found this thread. I setup an appt for Rear Camera Harness recall.

After replacing the harness, the trunk lights worked again. This was the first the tech had seen this problem, but also said, the trunk circuit runs through the harness.

Reactions: morph3ous
My trunk lights stopped turning on about 2 months ago on my 2019 Long Range RWD. Eventually I got around to trouble shooting it, replacing my aftermarket lights with the original lights (I could have a used a meter too, but I was lazy). I then found this thread. I setup an appt for Rear Camera Harness recall.

After replacing the harness, the trunk lights worked again. This was the first the tech had seen this problem, but also said, the trunk circuit runs through the harness.
I’m glad you were also able to get it fixed. :)