TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Trunk Light DIY Mod

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by EGuzzler, Aug 6, 2018.

1. EGuzzler

EGuzzler Member

I found the stock trunk light to be annoyingly dim so today I went through my parts bin and rigged up something I'm pretty happy with.

This picture is the before picture with only the left stock LED (right one removed). Camera on manual 1/15, ISO 800.

20180806_184115.jpg

This picture is with the right light replaced with a small LED strip, again camera on manual 1/15, ISO 800.

20180806_184547.jpg

In reality the difference is not as dramatic as the photos imply, however it is much brighter, I don't think I'll bother modifying the left one.

The modification itself was quite simple, I took a strip of 12 LED and soldered a 2 pin connector to it. Removed the stock light and re-routed the wiring to the large support bar that goes across the top of the trunk cavity. Right in the centre of that is a bit of an indentation, that's where I put the LED strip. The LED strip is the peel and stick type, made it easy.

20180806_185203.jpg 20180806_185516.jpg

I then used a bit of narrow duct tape to tidy it up a bit to prevent the wires from getting snagged by cargo.

The stock LED uses only 15mA, this little LED strip now uses about 80mA hopefully it doesn't cause any issues.

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. bradhs

bradhs Member

I did this on my Model S and it made a world of a difference. I plan to do it again on the 3.

• Like x 2
  4. EGuzzler

EGuzzler Member

• Like x 2
  5. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Yeah, and they are the same lights between the S and the 3. So I'll reuse them on the 3.
    Then I might just get some cool puddle lights...

• Like x 1
  6. EGuzzler

EGuzzler Member

Does anyone know how many milli-Amps the RPM Tesla or the Abstract Ocean Bright LED's consume?

With the smart fuse system in the Model 3 if I replace more lights I'm concerned the unexpected increase in power consumption will trigger an error.

7. kmtl

kmtl Member

• Like x 1
  8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I don't have exact numbers, but there's only one known issue according to abstract ocean:

• Informative x 2
  9. Ande

Ande Member

What controls the trunk light ?
    is it an old-fashion relay on a 5A circuit , or may it be a small FET , maybe inside some other unit that controls lights etc, which we do not wish to overload. ?

10. tyfosho

tyfosho Member

11. kmtl

kmtl Member

• Informative x 1