Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Light DIY Mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the stock trunk light to be annoyingly dim so today I went through my parts bin and rigged up something I'm pretty happy with.

This picture is the before picture with only the left stock LED (right one removed). Camera on manual 1/15, ISO 800.

20180806_184115.jpg

This picture is with the right light replaced with a small LED strip, again camera on manual 1/15, ISO 800.

20180806_184547.jpg

In reality the difference is not as dramatic as the photos imply, however it is much brighter, I don't think I'll bother modifying the left one.

The modification itself was quite simple, I took a strip of 12 LED and soldered a 2 pin connector to it. Removed the stock light and re-routed the wiring to the large support bar that goes across the top of the trunk cavity. Right in the centre of that is a bit of an indentation, that's where I put the LED strip. The LED strip is the peel and stick type, made it easy.

20180806_185203.jpg 20180806_185516.jpg

I then used a bit of narrow duct tape to tidy it up a bit to prevent the wires from getting snagged by cargo.

The stock LED uses only 15mA, this little LED strip now uses about 80mA hopefully it doesn't cause any issues.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Does anyone know how many milli-Amps the RPM Tesla or the Abstract Ocean Bright LED's consume?

With the smart fuse system in the Model 3 if I replace more lights I'm concerned the unexpected increase in power consumption will trigger an error.

Does anyone know how many milli-Amps the RPM Tesla or the Abstract Ocean Bright LED's consume?

With the smart fuse system in the Model 3 if I replace more lights I'm concerned the unexpected increase in power consumption will trigger an error.
I don't have exact numbers, but there's only one known issue according to abstract ocean:

For Model 3, Please note, some of the more recent Model 3 builds are having issues with our lights in the front footwells. Model 3 uses virtual, or solid-state fuses, read more about those here, and we think it's related, they seem to be very sensitive. We are working on a revised resistor design that should resolve the issue, but for now if you want the front footwell lights to work reliably, we recommend keeping the factory lights. All other locations are fine, it's just the front footwells. For this reason, the 'full' Model 3 set is temporarily 7 white bulbs.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and _TLA_
What controls the trunk light ?
is it an old-fashion relay on a 5A circuit , or may it be a small FET , maybe inside some other unit that controls lights etc, which we do not wish to overload. ?

• Informative
Reactions: _TLA_
Wasn’t there an issue with replacing the puddle lights and windows not opening a little when you open the door? I remember someone mentioning his window broke when he closed the door because it didn’t retract a little with the new puddle lights.

Wasn’t there an issue with replacing the puddle lights and windows not opening a little when you open the door? I remember someone mentioning his window broke when he closed the door because it didn’t retract a little with the new puddle lights.

I received and installed my puddle lights in June from Abstract Ocean and haven't had any problems. My windows have never failed to retract (knock on wood).

Reactions: xpitxbullx