Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Light Flickers Mobile Service No Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a search, but couldn't find anything so here it goes.

My left trunk light started to flicker on my model 3 for no apparent reason. It happens every time I open the trunk. The car is less than a month old.

I had mobile service out today to take a look. I was hoping that swapping out the lights would do the trick, but no dice. The mobile service rep told me that it's likely a wiring issue which will require me to take the car into SC.

I don't mind bringing it in for service, but I am a bit concerned about the extent of the repair. If it is in fact an issue with the wiring, how much of the car do they need to take apart and put back together? Is it a relatively easy process? I just had my car in to fix a rattle in my C pillar, and I just hate the idea of having car parts taken and put back together. When you do that, chances are that things may get loose or, worse of all, not get put back together as tightly as they at the factory.

12.1.2 started this on mine tonight as well. I got in the trunk just before the update, working fine. Just after the update, got back in and it was flickering.

How the hell do you break a light bulb with software?

I just updated to 12.1.2 and seeing the same issue. Did not notice it before the update. Im thinking Tesla must be doing voltage control through software or something like that esp if mobile service replaced lights and still had the same issue.

12.1.2 started this on mine tonight as well. I got in the trunk just before the update, working fine. Just after the update, got back in and it was flickering.

How the hell do you break a light bulb with software?

Seems weird but you’d be surprised what Tesla is capable of messing up in an update. Early model 3s had reports of flickering headlights and for some reason a software update fixed it....