Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone replaced their trunk lights with Abstract Ocean LEDs? They are plug and play and greatly improve visibility, but I am having an issue properly securing them in the plastic bracket/clip inside the trunk liner. The lights hold well in the liner itself, but I’m concerned if they can’t be secured more firmly they may shake loose over time. If you’ve done this swap, can you offer any feedback? The light seems slightly too big for the clip, or more likely, operator error.

As suspected - operator error. The Abstract Ocean lights are perfect. For anyone with my level of handiness, here are my suggestions for installing new led trunk lights.

Remove the clip securing the trunk liner directly above the light to give yourself more working room. Hold the black clip firmly against the inside of the trunk liner as you insert the new light into the liner. Center it carefully and use a fair amount of force to secure the light into the clip. The clip has a tendency to favor one of the small ends of the light, so take care to keep it centered and try to apply even force on all four corners until it snaps into place.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
I purchased 8, but the center console is well lit enough and very difficult to replace, so 7 is all you really need. You can pretty easily replace the two in the trunk, the 4 puddle lights on the doors and the glove box light. You could replace the lights above your feet in the front seats but until the software is tweaked to let you control that lighting independent of the door opening, it may be too bright, so I left as is. Abstract Ocean makes mention of this on their site.

• Informative
Reactions: GaryC
I just saw the model S / model X videos. In the one put up by Bjorn Nyland it seemed fairly straightforward. I ordered the lights, will take pictures / videos when I (try to) replace them.

I changed the trunk lamps - piece of cake. They just pop open easily with the prying tool from Abstract Ocean.

The lights in the footwell are another story. Bottom line is you need one screwdriver to push the LED a little from the support, then use the prying tool with great enthusiasm - it will pop open. The lights were awesome , and I did not think they were too bright. Problem is as soon as I locked the car and came back to it, they are no longer on. Anyone with similar problems with while changing the foortwell lights in the model S?

Also @tagpats, how did you change the 4 puddle lights on the doors? I did not see a direct way to them - seems you have to remove the upholstery?

Also @tagpats, how did you change the 4 puddle lights on the doors? I did not see a direct way to them - seems you have to remove the upholstery?

@svp6 - there should not be any upholstery. Are we talking about the same lights? The light is directly under the door pocket. I simply opened each door, crawled under it and used the pry tool. The lights are secured in the stiff molded plastic just like the glovebox and foot wells. They should pop out with ease.

With regard to your foot wells. Do you have Ambient Lighting turned on through the touchscreen? I may have had the same issue temporarily. I thought that feature was not enabled, but the footwells and door pocket lights never illuminated even when I had it turned on. It suddenly began working for me.

@svp6 - Jump to minute 3 of this puddle light video. I had less slack in my line than he did to manipulate the light, but it was otherwise that straightforward to pull out and snap back in.

Those lights were so dim, I did not even realize they are there - I was looking at the door pocket lights, and there was no obvious path to them. You were right - piece of cake to exchange them. Thank you!

And my footwell lights came on again:). Now if only Abstract Ocean would make blue LEDs too....

Reactions: tagpats
We've been trying for over a year to get a good RGB bulb (same form-factor), but because (the S & X at least) dim the bulbs to off, rather than a straight on/off, we could never get the logic board to work quite right. Having interchangeable lenses would be easy enough though, if there's demand?

We've been trying for over a year to get a good RGB bulb (same form-factor), but because (the S & X at least) dim the bulbs to off, rather than a straight on/off, we could never get the logic board to work quite right. Having interchangeable lenses would be easy enough though, if there's demand?

Pete, I find white OK, but a little dull. Any color would be OK - but I am partial to blue. Can you have something like a clip-on to cover the surface of the existing bulbs? I would order a couple now. I saw your red, but that will be a color difficult to tolerate at night. I have my Merc interior lights set on a comfortable blue - very soothing at night.