Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now before people roast me on having a post about trunk lights, i did search and i didn't see my specific issue listed. So, I wanted to ask the community if they have had any issues with their stock trunk lights. Specifically, the lights not coming on when opening the trunk for the first time. However, if i close my trunk and then open it again, the lights do come on. This isn't a lights are dim type issue, they just do not come on at all the first time. I would replace the bulbs but since they always work on the second try, that rules out it being a bulb issue. Not sure if this is a deep sleep issue or just buggy programming but I dont think its unreasonable to expect there to be light even though i rarely open it. Does anyone else have this problem? or maybe you dont know you have this problem ;) Car is AWD LR and VIN is 115k.

Bonus question - I read a while ago that Tapatalk wasn't supported here due to security concerns. Browsing this site from a mobile browser, while not terrible, isn't the best experience. What do other people use? Or you just use your phones browser?

Thanks for reading.

Something like that has definitely happened to me before. I opened the trunk at night after a roadtrip and thought, "Man, these lights suck. I can't see anything!"

I don't remember exactly what happened next. Maybe I took some items inside and came back for the rest and noticed that the trunk was much more illuminated. That's when I realized the light must not have been on at all the first time.

I hadn't thought about it since. Might have to test this out. You're saying it happens basically every time you open the trunk?

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Now I have to check this out. I'm glad Iceless posted this. Haven't been out in the trunk in the dark yet so...
I love reading these threads and getting knowledge without bumping my head against the wall and getting frustrated.

I use my phone almost exclusively

Just a FYI.
I've now checked several times to get a good sense of operation. They do come on every time for me. It's hard to tell if the lights even working unless it's completely dark. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have brighter lights or to have one in the trunk deck lid to light up the area behind the bumper.
SDKoala makes a good point, time for a service appt. Good luck and enjoy your absolutely beautiful ride.:)

You have inspired me to try it again and try to figure out why this happens. Apparently, there is something that is locking the trunk while open that is causing the light to go off. It's almost as if it thinks its still closed. However, when i hit the latch to open the trunk, while its open, the light goes on, makes a loud clicking noise, then shuts off again. I am able to reproduce this issue almost every time. Sounds like i'll be putting in a ticket. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

• Love
You have inspired me to try it again and try to figure out why this happens. Apparently, there is something that is locking the trunk while open that is causing the light to go off. It's almost as if it thinks its still closed. However, when i hit the latch to open the trunk, while its open, the light goes on, makes a loud clicking noise, then shuts off again. I am able to reproduce this issue almost every time. Sounds like i'll be putting in a ticket. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Don't forget to come back and let us know what they found and how it was fixed.

Someone in another thread recommended supplementing the existing trunk lights with a cheap stick-on, motion activated, led light. I purchased these from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MYLZD8/

One of them will double the brightness of the trunk area and only require a couple AAA batteries.

Seems like it'd be a lot easier to just replace the OEM bulbs with the Abstract Ocean ones

16 times brighter than factory, goes in factory locations, and no batteries needed.

Someone in another thread recommended supplementing the existing trunk lights with a cheap stick-on, motion activated, led light. I purchased these from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MYLZD8/

One of them will double the brightness of the trunk area and only require a couple AAA batteries.

You can just upgrade the LEDs for a more straight forward solution. (Of course, wouldn't work in OPs case where the lights aren't working normally...) The installation is simple and difference is amazing.

Pick and Mix LED Lights - Pick and Mix LED Lights Model 3 - Abstract Ocean
White single

• Informative
You can just upgrade the LEDs for a more straight forward solution. (Of course, wouldn't work in OPs case where the lights aren't working normally...) The installation is simple and difference is amazing.

Pick and Mix LED Lights - Pick and Mix LED Lights Model 3 - Abstract Ocean
White single

Thanks! I ordered 2 bulbs and we will see how it goes. I do think there's still probably a use for the stick on lights as they shine down into your trunk from the top, where the factory lights are on the side. Either way, I seem to be covered with regards to trunk lighting.

Just to update everyone, i just got back from SC and there was an issue with the latch. They ended up switching it out for a new one and now the light works 100% of the time. Or at least the 6 times i tried it. Hopefully nobody else has this issue but if they do, its at least good to know it was a simple enough fix and it only took about 30 minutes to resolve.

I'm glad you resolved that issue. Between you and SDKoala, I learned that there are several spots where the LED light is woefully lacking, like the one in the phone charger port box. Even if it's not dark I have to feel around to find the ports. I didn't know there was a light in there until this thread got me curious and I started researching. Order is in for my upgraded LEDs. Thanks :)

Just to update everyone, i just got back from SC and there was an issue with the latch. They ended up switching it out for a new one and now the light works 100% of the time. Or at least the 6 times i tried it. Hopefully nobody else has this issue but if they do, its at least good to know it was a simple enough fix and it only took about 30 minutes to resolve.

Rekindling the issue... on a 30 day old 2020 Model 3. If I manually open the trunk from the latch button, no light. If I use the app or open from inside the car, (or close and reopen manually) I have trunk lights. Sounds like a service call?

Last edited:
FWIW, as an aside, I've gotten replacement LEDs in blue and white, and they vary A LOT. The white ones I last got on e-bay for $10/pair are BRIGHT, they're great, really light up the trunk, it's a totally different thing. It's odd that Tesla used such feeble ones.

But ALL that merchandise is a Chinese lottery, the sources and the vendors come and go. You really don't want super bright inside, in the front foot wells, so after you've bought different ones you rotate and put the dimmest ones there, then the rear puddle lights, then the front puddles, and the brightest in the trunk. Thankfully, it's a very easy installation/removal :)

Last edited: