TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Trunk Load Floor - Broken Fin / Shelf

Discussion in 'Model X' started by re04586, Jun 8, 2019.

1. re04586

re04586 Member

One of those fins in the trunk that support the load floor broke off today. I’m confused how this happened, I rarely have anything other my groceries or a suitcase in the trunk. It just fell off while I was trying to access the lower bin under it.

When I look at the broken fin, it seems to be made out of some cheap plastic.

Anyone else have this problem? Has to be covered by warranty, right?

AD06F446-BF65-4110-BF38-3DC9ABF65043.jpeg 87B05D8E-498F-403B-A31E-6838785CDD1A.jpeg

2. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Supporting Member

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Also not exactly sure how I did it, but pretty sure it was my fault. The fin itself is relatively strong, but the plastic bracket it attaches to behind the carpet is not. From your photos, it seems that the fin is intact and still holding on to the broke plastic.

Good news is the replacement part is cheap. It's called a "load floor minion bracket" and costs a whopping $8.80. I didn't want to bother pulling back the carpet and risk introducing new rattles, so I paid the service center half hour of labor to replace it for me. Out the door, it was about $78.

• Informative x 2
  3. re04586

re04586 Member

You are correct, the fin is indeed intact, the plastic bracket inside snapped.

Good to know it wasn’t an expensive to fix, but did you try it at all to have them cover the cost as part of the warranty? I maintain that I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary that would break this.

4. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Supporting Member

I didn't pursue a warranty claim. My advice is to bring the car in, explain what happened, and see what they say. Tesla might cover it in your case.

• Informative x 1
  5. re04586

re04586 Member

Took the car in today and they are replacing it as a warranty item. The service adviser said this is all too common considering the materials and didn't question how it happened which I appreciated.

• Like x 1
  6. ytwytw

ytwytw Member

Lucky you I paid 82$ to SC to fix it as well

They are broken so easily when loading not so heavy stuff

7. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

They charged you to fix? That sucks. I've had both fixed under warranty. First one I dropped a salt bag on top of it. The weight as I dropped it was too much. Second time not sure how it broke but it did. Service centre fixed it both times under warranty.

• Like x 1