Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Lock Behavior Changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assure you that none of the passenger buttons would ever open while using the driver door only unlock function in my legacy X. It was tried often prior to this update.
I wasn't clear in my wording so I'll restate it to make sure that we are saying the same thing. With the walk-up unlock if I hadn't yet opened the driver's door the passengers would be able to open their doors without any intervention from me. But if I opened the driver's door first all of the passenger doors were locked and I needed to unlock the car from the screen. In this case I'm not talking about using a fob or unlocking from the app.

The button is so that you can CLOSE the door after you load groceries without resorting to the fob or the phone app orleaving the dtruvk door open until you get into the passenger seat and close it on screen. Very useful. I will say that the button on the falcon wing door is too high in the sky for someone 5’4”. To reach.
No, he is referring to the button outside the vehicle above the license plate, not the close button on the bottom of the gate that you reference.

I wasn't clear in my wording so I'll restate it to make sure that we are saying the same thing. With the walk-up unlock if I hadn't yet opened the driver's door the passengers would be able to open their doors without any intervention from me. But if I opened the driver's door first all of the passenger doors were locked and I needed to unlock the car from the screen. In this case I'm not talking about using a fob or unlocking from the app.
Fair enough. I have never used walk-up unlock. It's even worse that they broke the traditional behavior in the course of "fixing" that anti-security feature.

@Prairie , I believe @azulejo means the button on the OUTSIDE of the trunk, not the glowing red one you push to close the door after loading packages that is on the inside edge of the trunk…

I came to this thread because I am frustrated by approaching my new 2023 X with hands full of groceries and NOT having the trunk unlock so I can juggle five bags white trying desperately to push the trunk button to open it like my 2016 X. No, I don’t have a fob. No, I’m not holding my phone. No, I don’t care that my driver’s door opens. I’m standing beside my car with my arms full and I’m MAD. Lol

Reactions: Prairie
@Prairie , I believe @azulejo means the button on the OUTSIDE of the trunk, not the glowing red one you push to close the door after loading packages that is on the inside edge of the trunk…

I came to this thread because I am frustrated by approaching my new 2023 X with hands full of groceries and NOT having the trunk unlock so I can juggle five bags white trying desperately to push the trunk button to open it like my 2016 X. No, I don’t have a fob. No, I’m not holding my phone. No, I don’t care that my driver’s door opens. I’m standing beside my car with my arms full and I’m MAD. Lol
Strongly recommend fob in pocket To open trunk before you get there. Need car to be “on” and then fob.. Not perfect but I’m getting accustomed to the process. There is no way I’m digging into my purse for a phone…….

If it's of any condolence, apparently your 2016 X wouldn't do that anymore either with the latest updates if you did still have it (operating under the assumption you had upgraded to MCU2 and that caused you to still get updates, my 2017 behavior changed with the latest FSD beta).

Strongly recommend fob in pocket To open trunk before you get there. Need car to be “on” and then fob.. Not perfect but I’m getting accustomed to the process. There is no way I’m digging into my purse for a phone…….
Part of the message you were replying to was: "No, I don’t have a fob." The fact that the fob is an optional accessory implies it shouldn't be necessary and only further accentuates the problem with this behavior change. To the "but driver door unlock only" people, do cars with a kick sensor for opening the hatch disable the kick sensor when driver door unlock only is set configured? Also, does MomOf2Gr8Kids even have driver door unlock only set or is the hatch never unlocking on approach/unlock now?

The button is so that you can CLOSE the door after you load groceries without resorting to the fob or the phone app orleaving the dtruvk door open until you get into the passenger seat and close it on screen. Very useful. I will say that the button on the falcon wing door is too high in the sky for someone 5’4”. To reach.
I have a 2018 M3. It does not have a power trunk lid. I am not referring to a power trunk button, but to the trunk unlatching button.

This is a perfect example of tech telling the consumer what is best for them. Now when I approach my ‘22 M3, I have to use the app or get in the car and unlock the trunk or the passenger doors. I want it the way it was… everything unlocks on approach. The physical button on the outside of the trunk under the license plate is useless now. A real pain.

This is a perfect example of tech telling the consumer what is best for them. Now when I approach my ‘22 M3, I have to use the app or get in the car and unlock the trunk or the passenger doors. I want it the way it was… everything unlocks on approach. The physical button on the outside of the trunk under the license plate is useless now. A real pain.
What changed? Mine still unlocks on approach, just fine. 2023.27.6

Check your settings, the behavior you're describing matches the "driver door unlock" setting after they changed it to make it crappy, but the behavior you want doesn't match the "driver door unlock" setting even pre-crap-update, so it sounds like you should be turning that setting off.

Picking up MXLR in a week, this thread has convinced me to get a fob! it was stupid of Tesla not to include the fob. No way I am digging through and finding my phone to open the trunk. I paid for the premium package on my Model S 2016, just so that I can open the trunk from a distance (for groceries, soccer games).

Picking up MXLR in a week, this thread has convinced me to get a fob! it was stupid of Tesla not to include the fob. No way I am digging through and finding my phone to open the trunk. I paid for the premium package on my Model S 2016, just so that I can open the trunk from a distance (for groceries, soccer games).
It would less expensive if you become convinced to change the lock behavior in settings.

It would less expensive if you become convinced to change the lock behavior in settings.
If I do that, I will still need to use the phone app to unlock/open the trunk and there is a chance that it may not auto unlock when approaching the car if my phone is not detected (if I were to use the physical button on the trunk).

Edit: I see the convenience of not having to carry a fob and using the phone if I forget the fob, but I do not see the phone as a replacement for fob. What would be cool is perhaps hand gestures to open the trunk!

If I do that, I will still need to use the phone app to unlock/open the trunk and there is a chance that it may not auto unlock when approaching the car if my phone is not detected (if I were to use the physical button on the trunk).
I have never had that happen, phone detection is very reliable. My X was delivered with fobs, but the only thing I use them for, is dropping the car at the car wash. Half the time, I forget to grab one on the way out the door. Then I have to dig out the card key from my wallet to give to the attendant.

I have never had that happen, phone detection is very reliable. My X was delivered with fobs, but the only thing I use them for, is dropping the car at the car wash. Half the time, I forget to grab one on the way out the door. Then I have to dig out the card key from my wallet to give to the attendant.
Thanks and good to know, I was going based on other reports on here with folks having problem with htier phones.

I just use Siri on my Apple Watch .. no need to fumble for anything.

Reactions: aiorbroke