Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk mounted bike (bicycle rack) for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello World,
Looking for a trunk mounted bike (bicycle) rack for Model 3. Preferably for 3 bikes but at least 2 bikes. I checked Allen's website and they said they don't have products for Model 3. Some folks who have installed it needed to do workarounds to prevent damage to the trunk so i don't particularly like the solution.

So, has anyone installed a trunk mounted bike (bicycle rack) for Model 3? Any recommendations. Thanks

I would personally recommend getting a proper hitch installed if you can. I've driven long distanced with trunk racks and they really feel like they're going to fall off at high speeds- and yeah they really do have a tendency to damage paint with all the hooks, straps, and buckles.

Some folks who have installed it needed to do workarounds to prevent damage to the trunk so i don't particularly like the solution.
You might consider carrying one light bike but not two or three bikes.
I noticed some police cars in my area carrying a mountain bike.

A roof rack is easier to install to install and remove, but this is the only main advantage.
The Tesla paint is famous for getting easier to get scratches.

You will end up damaging your trunk and paint, which will be very costly to repair because the trunk is made of aluminum.
So it cannot be stressed back and has to be replaced with a new one when damaged, typically when passing over a bump or potholes.

Try to carry the bikes in the trunk, what I do because I don't always return home after ridding my bike,
so the bikes are less noticeable, but you need to fold at least half of the back seat,

I have a roof rack, but I don't use it for my bike because I park in a garage.

Really the recommended option is to install a hitch, if you are handy you can do it yourself, there are tons of videos on Youtube.

Might be unpopular opinion here, but other than aesthetic reasons, how important really is the paint damage? I have a trunk bike rack of 2 bikes and used it occasionally on my other car - Subaru Outback. I am a bit on the fence of using it on my Tesla model 3, because of possible paint damage. However, I got the car in 2018 and there's already numerous curb rashes, paint scratches in some places, so I don't really care adding a little bit more?