Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk not opening from app, button or screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately I cannot open the trunk anymore from the screen, app or button on the trunk. The mechanical release still works (but people look weird at me when opening the trunk like that...so I prefer the normal way of opening ;-). I already had the Tesla ranger (have to say, very friendly and supporting) here and hoped it was an easy fix. He did test it with a new lock mechanism but still no luck (or lock..). When he spotted the audio upgrade ((audio upgrade) he mentioned this could be the cause and advised to remove all and hope that solves the problem. He left after that (after paying the investigation fee). This weekend I tried to measure possible causes in the trunk as I am quite sure the audio upgrade is not the cause and properly installed. When measuring the voltage in the connector to the mech latch I read a 13/14VDC pulse of roughly 2 seconds, then it disappears. When the connector is plugged in the latch I do not measure the pulse. It seems the "voltage" is lost somewhere. So with the disconnected plug I started to measure again and noticed when I carefully pull on the rubber sleeve going from the trunk to the body I no longer have the pulse, never. When I let go of the sleeve the pulse is back. I therefor think there might be a wire broken in this harness. But how to convince the ranger? Does any of you have similar issues where one of the wires is damaged in the harness going from trunk to body? There should be a connector in the body that could help me to measure inside the body but I cannot find it. Appreciate your tips and hints...

mmmm, replying in my own topic o_O....
WIth some help of the schematics I found the correct wire near the C pilar RH passenger side. Bypassed it from there via the outside of the car and the latch worked again. So that proves its indeed a broken wire. The ranger has been informed and will order a new harness. I still find it strange that I have to proof that the audio upgrade didnt cause it. But in case anyone else ever gets problems with the latch, trunk closed switch etc keep the cable harness in mind.

Topic can be closed.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier