Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk not opening fully in cold weather

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Over the last few days, since our weather has turned colder, I’ve noticed that when I open the trunk and lift it, the gas struts don’t open it fully, and I’m ending up banging my head on the not-fully-opened trunk :mad:

The cheapo Tesla gas struts must be losing power with the lower temperature.

As I rarely open the trunk other than by hand, I wasn’t going to bother with the stronger struts, but if I keep banging my head I think I’ll have to reconsider. Assuming I still have the mental capacity to do so! :)

KokW

May 23, 2019
Apeldoorn
Over the last few days, since our weather has turned colder, I’ve noticed that when I open the trunk and lift it, the gas struts don’t open it fully, and I’m ending up banging my head on the not-fully-opened trunk :mad:

As I rarely open the trunk other than by hand, I wasn’t going to bother with the stronger struts, but if I keep banging my head I think I’ll have to reconsider. Assuming I still have the mental capacity to do so! :)
haha, me too!

NorfolkMustard

Apr 18, 2019
M3P w/FSD
A good time to bring back an old lotus retort, what the dealer would say when you went back with a niggle

“oh, that’s nothing to worry about, they all do
that, Sir”

shortened to TADTS

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
haha, me too!
Good to hear it’s not just me, although your temperature in Ulft is probably lower than where I live. We’re currently getting lows near freezing, but my struts are playing up at 8-10 Celsius during the day.

phillcom3

Jul 27, 2019
preston

Got to love the ideal gas laws! Tempriture and pressure directly related means a struts not going to have enough pressure in there.

Reactions: Roy W.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC