Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk only opening halfway sometimes after 2022.8.3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I forgot to say that when the service team said that I should just open it by hand (even after I told them it’s stressing the struts and hinges) I replied to them saying that I fully expect them to fix any damage caused to the struts and hinges by doing it free of charge. No comment from them.

I forgot to say that when the service team said that I should just open it by hand (even after I told them it’s stressing the struts and hinges) I replied to them saying that I fully expect them to fix any damage caused to the struts and hinges by doing it free of charge. No comment from them.
I'm not sure why the hinges would be more stressed by you opening it manually vs the electric motor. If anything I think opening it from a central position of the tailgate by hand would put less stress on the hinges than a single electric piston on the left-hand side Since the force will be in the center of the trunk between the two hinges.

I'm not sure why the hinges would be more stressed by you opening it manually vs the electric motor. If anything I think opening it from a central position of the tailgate by hand would put less stress on the hinges than a single electric piston on the left-hand side Since the force will be in the center of the trunk between the two hinges.
Trust me it does! The resistance from the power strut not wanting to move is making the hinges flex because they are being forced against. I’ve already noticed it’s very very slightly moved the gap between the upper narrow left side of the trunk and the roof line between the rear door and roof.

Trust me it does! The resistance from the power strut not wanting to move is making the hinges flex because they are being forced against. I’ve already noticed it’s very very slightly moved the gap between the upper narrow left side of the trunk and the roof line between the rear door and roof.
Hmm, that does suck. What happens if you press the button on the trunk again? In my case, if I press the button when it's only partially open the trunk closes. Then when I press the button again it opens fully without stopping. I'm wondering if that might be less stressful to the trunk mechanism than forcing it open.

Hmm, that does suck. What happens if you press the button on the trunk again? In my case, if I press the button when it's only partially open the trunk closes. Then when I press the button again it opens fully without stopping. I'm wondering if that might be less stressful to the trunk mechanism than forcing it open.
Try pressing and holding the trunk button while lifting it, then it moves ok but it’s a bit awkward but works better.

Out of curiosity, when the trunk only opens partially have you tried raising it up manually all the way and then holding down the open/close button until it beeps? It almost seems like it's got some sort of a memory that's not getting cleared properly for that location. The preferred height of the trunk is remembered by location so it's possible somethings got set there at one point erroneously and now is not being reset. It's also possible that its location is not updated quite to the same exact spot.
I have had this happen 3-4 times and definitely did that but it didn’t seem to make a difference as obviously I’ve had subsequent issues. Strange.

Just finally got a new software update 2022.16.1.2 and it’s finally fixed the trunk issue!!! It’s only taken about 3 months….. sarcasm intended.
I had lubed the struts. and it seemed to help. Did not have the issue afterwards, but then 16.1.x happened. Looks like confirmation that 16.1.2 fixes the symptom. I got 16.2(.0) three days afterwards, no change. seems to go a little faster than originally. I did exercise it a couple of times and opened it as far as it wold go, backed it off an RCH and set that as the limit. All seems well now.
I have an aftermarket system on The Blue Bunny. Two actuators, they seem to be not working as hard, and the force is more even.

Just finally got a new software update 2022.16.1.2 and it’s finally fixed the trunk issue!!! It’s only taken about 3 months….. sarcasm intended.
Well my worst nightmare has happened. The stress on the power strut has now broken it and bent the stupid POS which rotated the strut causing it to hit the roof glass and has broken the glass!!!! The strut is bent and won’t even operate so I have had to pop the top mount of it off so the strut is disconnected so I could lay it down in the space it usually sits in so I could shut the trunk. Tesla told me to open and close it manually and I said it was stressing it. I even said if it breaks anything it your problem as far as I’m concerned and I expect you to cover all the costs of repair etc.
After the firmware update it was working but wasn’t sounding like it was working correctly and was not functioning smoothly at all. I’ve booked it in for repair but it means driving from Victoria all the way to Langley, including a ferry that a minimum of two hours duration each way and that could possibly mean up to 4 ferry trips depending upon if it could be fixed on the day or not, plus I’d need a loaner car too. I’m really angry about this whole situation. Will report any updates on it here.

That stinks!! Please keep us informed of what happens.

For what it's worth, my '21 M3P went to the local service center for the same issue before Tesla admitted to the software fault. They said they would not honor the warranty due to the "added weight of the sound deadening" that I added to my car when I installed the stereo system.

That stinks!! Please keep us informed of what happens.

For what it's worth, my '21 M3P went to the local service center for the same issue before Tesla admitted to the software fault. They said they would not honor the warranty due to the "added weight of the sound deadening" that I added to my car when I installed the stereo system.
Tesla have actually been very good so far. They came and replaced the power strut quickly and seemed to re alight the trunk by the look of it too. It’s also been approved for the rear roof glass to be replaced by a local authorized repair centre who will also fix the minor paint issues too. They are also going to supply us with a rental car while it’s being fixed. So I’m quite happy so far.

That sucks regarding your strut too. I hope you are fighting it because it’s not your fault and if they’re saying sound deadening is too heavy for it and was the cause for failure it’s really poor on their part. Sound deadening can’t weigh that much can it?

Tesla have actually been very good so far. They came and replaced the power strut quickly and seemed to re alight the trunk by the look of it too. It’s also been approved for the rear roof glass to be replaced by a local authorized repair centre who will also fix the minor paint issues too. They are also going to supply us with a rental car while it’s being fixed. So I’m quite happy so far.

That sucks regarding your strut too. I hope you are fighting it because it’s not your fault and if they’re saying sound deadening is too heavy for it and was the cause for failure it’s really poor on their part. Sound deadening can’t weigh that much can it?
Just got our M3 back from the repair shop. Has the latest design roof glass with what appears to be a different style of heating element. Trunk lid was completely repainted exactly matching the original and blended in the roof side beam on the driver side. We had a Hyundai rental car for the week included too. They did a good job on it and we’re happy with the service we had for the whole job except for the long time it took to do everything but that’s a first world problem. Invoice total came to just over $3000 CDN plus whatever the power strut replacement cost. So it really was an expensive screwup by Tesla for a simple software issue!! Best thing is it didn’t cost us a penny and was just inconvenient.

Reactions: pipp and drdumont