Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk only opening halfway sometimes after 2022.8.3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too. It never did it when I got my Tesla a year ago. Then about a few weeks or a month, it started doing that every once in a while. I thought it was weird at first. But after seeing this thread, I'm starting to think it was after a software update.

Reactions: XPsionic
Yea, it happened again to me too. I have to ask though, just what is it trying to prevent? Anybody with their car in such a tight spot that they can't open their trunk would know it. You wouldn't be able to stand up in it.

Yea, it happened again to me too. I have to ask though, just what is it trying to prevent? Anybody with their car in such a tight spot that they can't open their trunk would know it. You wouldn't be able to stand up in it.
Well, I think this may have more to do with something that's very close to your rear end like a garage door when it's closed. If you pull into your garage, close the garage door, and it's only 12 inches or so from the rear bumper it's very possible that the swing of the trunk could hit the door of the garage.

Well, I think this may have more to do with something that's very close to your rear end like a garage door when it's closed. If you pull into your garage, close the garage door, and it's only 12 inches or so from the rear bumper it's very possible that the swing of the trunk could hit the door of the garage.
In that case, if you open the trunk with the button under the lip it should just open because you are standing there. If you do it from the console or remotely I can see that as possibly useful. I'll have to see how much it swings out, whether it even protrudes beyond the bumper.

In that case, if you open the trunk with the button under the lip it should just open because you are standing there. If you do it from the console or remotely I can see that as possibly useful. I'll have to see how much it swings out, whether it even protrudes beyond the bumper.
I think the feature is malfunctioning but I do think it's probably intended to prevent hitting things directly behind the vehicle (i.e. like a garage door). I think there is some bug that is causing it to be oversensitive or not open when there's nothing at all behind the vehicle. I have pulled into my garage not quite far enough and when I've gone to open the trunk, with the garage door closed, while standing behind a vehicle I've stopped at partway up with my hand because it was about to hit. So, it does indeed protrude further than the rear bumper through the arc of opening.

Mine is still doing it but it’s even worse than before as it now hardly opens. I’ve requested service from Tesla yet again and they came back with it listed as “resolved remotely” as it’s a known software/firmware issue and will be “fixed” eventually. I’m not impressed by this especially when they said to open it by hand! If I do it by hand it’s resisting it and is forcing the struts and hinge’s. I have found that it is best to keep the button above the license plate pressed and try as gently as possible to lift the trunk lid up as it seems to let the power strut move freely.

Mine is still doing it but it’s even worse than before as it now hardly opens. I’ve requested service from Tesla yet again and they came back with it listed as “resolved remotely” as it’s a known software/firmware issue and will be “fixed” eventually. I’m not impressed by this especially when they said to open it by hand! If I do it by hand it’s resisting it and is forcing the struts and hinge’s. I have found that it is best to keep the button above the license plate pressed and try as gently as possible to lift the trunk lid up as it seems to let the power strut move freely.
Out of curiosity, when the trunk only opens partially have you tried raising it up manually all the way and then holding down the open/close button until it beeps? It almost seems like it's got some sort of a memory that's not getting cleared properly for that location. The preferred height of the trunk is remembered by location so it's possible somethings got set there at one point erroneously and now is not being reset. It's also possible that its location is not updated quite to the same exact spot.

Out of curiosity, when the trunk only opens partially have you tried raising it up manually all the way and then holding down the open/close button until it beeps? It almost seems like it's got some sort of a memory that's not getting cleared properly for that location. The preferred height of the trunk is remembered by location so it's possible somethings got set there at one point erroneously and now is not being reset. It's also possible that its location is not updated quite to the same exact spot.
Also, if you press the open/close button again what happens? In my case, when this is happens if I press the button the trunk closes, but if I tap the button again after it's closed it opens fully.

For me the problem only happens about 5% of the time that I use the trunk. Not a big deal in itself. The biggets issue for me is these folks are writing software that affects driving safety, and 95% success rate is not acceptable for driving safety.

Reactions: XPsionic
For me the problem only happens about 5% of the time that I use the trunk. Not a big deal in itself. The biggets issue for me is these folks are writing software that affects driving safety, and 95% success rate is not acceptable for driving safety.
I suppose. Here's the thing though. Software always has bugs. How do you prioritize and fix those bugs is just as important as preventing them. There are multiple teams working on software at Tesla. I doubt the same team that works on full self driving and safety features is working on the trunk. I don't know for sure but I would assume so. Especially since full self driving is a separate software version. I would also hate to see safety features getting prioritize lower than trunk not opening and closing bugs.

I suppose. Here's the thing though. Software always has bugs. How do you prioritize and fix those bugs is just as important as preventing them. There are multiple teams working on software at Tesla. I doubt the same team that works on full self driving and safety features is working on the trunk. I don't know for sure but I would assume so. Especially since full self driving is a separate software version. I would also hate to see safety features getting prioritize lower than trunk not opening and closing bugs.

Great point about the separate teams. But there is still a disturbing nature to these issues (I’m also dealing with an issue where the dashcam becomes unavailable spuriously, presumably related to using live sentry camera view).

Maybe it was you, or someone else mentioned the important point that the trunk problem is directly related to an attempted fix for another trunk problem. This is important to me because even if you have separate teams working on separate pieces of software, if the software isn’t modularized and separated properly then the separate teams might be able to screw each other’s work up. So, if the trunk issue happens because a trunk fix was off, that’s bad but not horrible. If the trunk issue happens simply because somebody wanted to adjust the Spotify icon or something like that, I find that worrisome.

If the live sentry view now screws up the dashcam accessibility, I find that worrisome. The software should be constructed as much as possible, so that when somebody changes one segment of it, those changes don’t end up causing weird-ass bugs in some (seemingly) unrelated function of the car. When Tesla rolls out OTA updates, the updates shouldn’t wind up causing more bugs than what they are trying to fix…

I think this all comes down to the planning and organization and structuring of the software. And as the software accumulates and gets more and more complex, bug problems will just get worse and worse if that original planning and organization haven’t been good.

Makes zero difference. It’s a software induced fault, Tesla already admitted that fact.

Great point about the separate teams. But there is still a disturbing nature to these issues (I’m also dealing with an issue where the dashcam becomes unavailable spuriously, presumably related to using live sentry camera view).

Maybe it was you, or someone else mentioned the important point that the trunk problem is directly related to an attempted fix for another trunk problem. This is important to me because even if you have separate teams working on separate pieces of software, if the software isn’t modularized and separated properly then the separate teams might be able to screw each other’s work up. So, if the trunk issue happens because a trunk fix was off, that’s bad but not horrible. If the trunk issue happens simply because somebody wanted to adjust the Spotify icon or something like that, I find that worrisome.

If the live sentry view now screws up the dashcam accessibility, I find that worrisome. The software should be constructed as much as possible, so that when somebody changes one segment of it, those changes don’t end up causing weird-ass bugs in some (seemingly) unrelated function of the car. When Tesla rolls out OTA updates, the updates shouldn’t wind up causing more bugs than what they are trying to fix…

I think this all comes down to the planning and organization and structuring of the software. And as the software accumulates and gets more and more complex, bug problems will just get worse and worse if that original planning and organization haven’t been good.
All good points. I would argue that the dash cam and sentry are somewhat closely related in terms of pieces of functionality that they touch. They both touch the camera systems that are used to view the areas around the car. In fact it seems quite logical that the dash cam would utilize the same functionality that sentry live view does.

In my experience, the trunk has opened to the same partial point every time this incident has occurred. If you say yours is getting worse and not opening as far, It makes me wonder if it's in fact a Hardware as well as a software issue in your case. There are sensors in the trunk that stop it from opening if it encounters more than some threshold of resistance. Perhaps either those sensors are malfunctioning or the trunk itself is not opening as easily as it should that's triggering the sensors.

All good points. I would argue that the dash cam and sentry are somewhat closely related in terms of pieces of functionality that they touch. They both touch the camera systems that are used to view the areas around the car. In fact it seems quite logical that the dash cam would utilize the same functionality that sentry live view does.

Well, I guess it depends, because we don’t really know all the details/causes of these issues. The “dash cam unavailable“ problem at this point appears to center around the USB drive, actually, and so far has been temporarily fixed by removing the drive then re-seating it, or by re-formatting the drive, or by the double-button reset of the general system. The USB drive doesn’t seem so obviously related to sentry live cameras…

True. It's very hard to understand without seeing the software code how any of these things really relate together. That being said, I have noticed that when I use the sentry live camera I have a ton of sentry events when I get back to my car. It's almost like while I'm viewing the sentry live camera it triggers repeated captures of sentry footage. In one instance I got back to the car and it said I had 600 sentry events After only a few hours. All of the events were non-events of me viewing the live camera. This obviously takes a massive number of writes to the USB drive. If that's the case it would make sense than that the USB drive functionality is interfering with the live camera functionality. All anecdotal speculation though.