TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Trunk opening photos

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Vitold, May 19, 2016.

1. Vitold

Vitold Member

By all accounts Model 3 trunk is comparable to A4 and other sedans. Access, as you note, is better than most but I wonder if it was the looks that sopped them from making it higher (with rear-view camera only few would care about rear visibility). That's why I asked for a mock-up...

Here's trunk up close:

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  2. ColoDriver

ColoDriver New Member

Here is a (badly) enhanced picture of the trunk that shows a pretty good depth.
    m3-trunk.jpg

3. Skione65

Skione65 Member

@ColoDriver,

Can you post the original with it for comparison? How did you figure the new dimensions (i.e. What is it based on)?

Ski

4. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

@Skione65, I think @ColoDriver is referring to just lightening up the photo so we can see the trunk interior
    [​IMG]

5. Pando

Pando Member

Looks roomy enough, but hatchback would still be preferred.

image_jpeg.jpg

trunk.jpg

• Like x 1
  6. Raindog1

Raindog1 Member

On a video at the event the guy who opened the trunk said that there was some proto-type hardware, and didn't want to show too much.... any ideas?

7. sebxx

sebxx Member

I guess it was a box in the trunk with some computer/logging stuff

• Dislike x 1
  8. garsh

garsh Re Member

Also, the charging port was in the trunk. The final location should be identical to the Model S (next to the taillight), but the prototypes had to pop open their trunks in order to charge. You can see the two running prototypes with their trunks popped open to charge.
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  9. alexeiw123

alexeiw123 Member

Good pick up. Explains the reluctance to show the boot with contents with motortrend. They'll wait until it looks finished before showing it off.

10. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

#10 alseTrick, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    I've seen this picture posted elsewhere. And I honestly don't believe that trunk opening is any larger than the trunk opening shown during the reveal.

I think part of what makes that trunk look large is the angle. It's at just the right angle to accentuate the "depth" of the trunk opening between the taillight and the back window. It also doesn't show you any of the bottom "lip" of the trunk opening that looks to be a good 6" deep inside the vehicle in other photos.

I think this photo from the reveal helps explain what I'm referring to. The near side taillight/rear window "notch" doesn't look near as deep as the far side one, simply due to the angle.

[​IMG]

DISCLAIMER(?): I absolutely think Tesla needs to work on the trunk opening. But even as is, I would still buy the 3. The trunk itself looks to be quite a nice size. It's just the opening is a little wonky. I don't use my trunk very often, though, nor do I have any desire to use a car as some sort of moving vehicle.

• Like x 1
  11. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

Elon said that they were tweaking the design of the trunk (or something to that effect) after heeding some post-reveal criticism.

The prototypes were representative of the basic form, but beyond that I wouldn't worry too much about it until we get more details.

12. Automaton

Automaton Member

The interior size of the trunk looks nice. However, the issue with trunks like this is the size of the opening. Hopefully they can make it large enough to load in large things like picnic coolers, large consumer electronics in their box, etc.

13. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

Pass through for skis with fold down back seats is key. If I can't get my skis in the car, I've gotta pass. If fold seats are an issue, then a pass through in the center seat would work.

But fold down seats, a valuable utility we see on most sedans and hatchbacks is the best idea.

14. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

If you can get a surfboard in there, you can fit skis.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

And do you know you can get a 7' surfboard in the Tesla 3 trunk?

16. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Ain't gonna fit in any sedan's trunk.

17. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

Elon was asked, believe in a tweet, about a 7' surfboard and he said it would absolutely fit. I'm assuming the seats fold completely flat.

18. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

Excellent. That's my only showstopper with the T3, not being able to get two sets of skis in the back.

19. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

There's always a roof

20. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

Stop it. You have been posting show stoppers all over this forum.

• Funny x 1