Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk opening photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vitold

Aug 10, 2015
NM
Look how vertical the trunk goes!!!

By all accounts Model 3 trunk is comparable to A4 and other sedans. Access, as you note, is better than most but I wonder if it was the looks that sopped them from making it higher (with rear-view camera only few would care about rear visibility). That's why I asked for a mock-up...

Here's trunk up close:

six-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-2018-tesla-model-3_2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Also, the charging port was in the trunk. The final location should be identical to the Model S (next to the taillight), but the prototypes had to pop open their trunks in order to charge. You can see the two running prototypes with their trunks popped open to charge.
LtMK4Q2.jpg

Reactions: Raindog1
Also, the charging port was in the trunk. The final location should be identical to the Model S (next to the taillight), but the prototypes had to pop open their trunks in order to charge. You can see the two running prototypes with their trunks popped open to charge.

Good pick up. Explains the reluctance to show the boot with contents with motortrend. They'll wait until it looks finished before showing it off.

LtMK4Q2.jpg

I've seen this picture posted elsewhere. And I honestly don't believe that trunk opening is any larger than the trunk opening shown during the reveal.

I think part of what makes that trunk look large is the angle. It's at just the right angle to accentuate the "depth" of the trunk opening between the taillight and the back window. It also doesn't show you any of the bottom "lip" of the trunk opening that looks to be a good 6" deep inside the vehicle in other photos.

I think this photo from the reveal helps explain what I'm referring to. The near side taillight/rear window "notch" doesn't look near as deep as the far side one, simply due to the angle.

m3_1.jpg

DISCLAIMER(?): I absolutely think Tesla needs to work on the trunk opening. But even as is, I would still buy the 3. The trunk itself looks to be quite a nice size. It's just the opening is a little wonky. I don't use my trunk very often, though, nor do I have any desire to use a car as some sort of moving vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZAKEEUS
Elon said that they were tweaking the design of the trunk (or something to that effect) after heeding some post-reveal criticism.

The prototypes were representative of the basic form, but beyond that I wouldn't worry too much about it until we get more details.

I've seen this picture posted elsewhere. And I honestly don't believe that trunk opening is any larger than the trunk opening shown during the reveal.

I think part of what makes that trunk look large is the angle. It's at just the right angle to accentuate the "depth" of the trunk opening between the taillight and the back window. It also doesn't show you any of the bottom "lip" of the trunk opening that looks to be a good 6" deep inside the vehicle in other photos.

I think this photo from the reveal helps explain what I'm referring to. The near side taillight/rear window "notch" doesn't look near as deep as the far side one, simply due to the angle.

m3_1.jpg

DISCLAIMER(?): I absolutely think Tesla needs to work on the trunk opening. But even as is, I would still buy the 3. The trunk itself looks to be quite a nice size. It's just the opening is a little wonky. I don't use my trunk very often, though, nor do I have any desire to use a car as some sort of moving vehicle.
The interior size of the trunk looks nice. However, the issue with trunks like this is the size of the opening. Hopefully they can make it large enough to load in large things like picnic coolers, large consumer electronics in their box, etc.

The interior size of the trunk looks nice. However, the issue with trunks like this is the size of the opening. Hopefully they can make it large enough to load in large things like picnic coolers, large consumer electronics in their box, etc.

Pass through for skis with fold down back seats is key. If I can't get my skis in the car, I've gotta pass. If fold seats are an issue, then a pass through in the center seat would work.

But fold down seats, a valuable utility we see on most sedans and hatchbacks is the best idea.