Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Opens By Itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the following text from Tesla service. I gave them a date/time when rear hatch randomly opened and they were able to track it down to the key fob. Issue hasn’t happened again since using my other fob.

Greetings, this is Brian - the diagnostic technician reviewing your service request. We were able to review remote data and determine that the request to open the trunk are coming from the button on the keyfob. I recommend putting the offending key aside for now and continue to use the key that had formerly never been used. The tech will replace the malfunctioning key at your scheduled service appointment. He will need to take to malfunctioning one with him, but try to keep it away from your Model S or remove the battery for now.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I have a 22 MS that I park in a subterranean parking area. I use my phone or Tesla "credit card" to operate the vehicle. I have never used the key fob. About 5 time the last 5 months I am told my neighbors [and verified by me] that the trunk is open. In each case I have not been near the car or even had any involvement with the Tesla app. Any suggestions?

Does you phone show and alert you to the open trunk, or is there no signal?
Good question for which I do not have a good answer. I have never heard an alert, but it's possible that I was not by my phone at that time. After I was advised today that the trunk was open I went down to check it and it was open. I checked my phone, and it showed the trunk to be open. I then closed it using the app

Until you identify the real problem, make sure your app is connected and working and can notify you immediately when the trunk is opened -- and then you can close it from the phone. Make sure your car locks when you leave it, by verifying in the app.

Mine notifies me when a window isn't closed, but I have never seen the trunk open notification. There is no setting for the windows down notify, and I don't see one for the trunk -- so I don't know if it notifies the same as an open window, or do you have to open the app to check.