Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Opens By Itself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The chain cord came with my fob from Tesla.

The leather cover I am going to defer answering-- as I'm trying to make sure the seller/manufacturer has first chance to stop sale/amend the design before any opportunists (not that you are one) try to take advantage of the situation. If you're really determined you can probably find it.

In the meantime I'm going to go re-read my instructions. ALL OF THEM. :redface:

Hi All. Matt was kind enough to PM me about this, but there's nothing to hide, so wanted to discuss this in the open for everyone's benefit. The Leather FobPockets are actually designed so that the button rests on top of the trunk open button, and the description on the website confirms this:

It has a couple of other tricks up it's sleeve too. The snap button lines up perfectly with the truck (boot) release button, so a quick double-tap of that will pop the truck for all the tech-package owners out there. As it needs a rapid double-press, there's no need to worry about accidentally opening the trunk.

The leather FobPocket tends to be my 'daily driver' when I'm not testing another design, and so far I've not personally any phantom opening issues. It lives in my pocket all the time, rather than hanging on a belt. It really does take a rapid double press to pop the trunk (I just went out to experiment), if there's any kind of hesitation in the press, then nothing happens, which is obviously by design. Add to that there's ~250 of this design in the wild, and there's been no other reports, so I'm wondering if maybe there's something different about your key? Maybe the button is already partially pushed down due to a dodgy assembly, which makes it more sensitive? A worthwhile test would be to switch to the other key, and see if you experience the same issue?

In any case, I do stand behind everything I sell, so if there's any concerns or reservations, then any customer is more than welcome to request a no-questions return/exchange.

I also have the leather FOB pocket (which I really like) and I had this problem this morning. When I went to the garage to leave for work, I found the trunk was open.

Unfortunately, the trunk swings out a little while opening, and it scrapped the hinges on the garage door, so now I have two deep scratches on the edge of my trunk lid. :mad:

As much a love the fob pocket, it's off now for good, and my 'baby' now has it's first damage:

scatches.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After posting this morning, I looked at the fob pocket again (now that it's off my fob), and I noticed the top edge is folded under.

I put my fob back in and it looks like that might be why the button clicked too easily.

I'm going to make sure it's unfolded and give it another try. I really like the pocket, it is much better the just having the fob naked, or in the free Tesla pockets.

I'm also going to make sure I park far enough in so the trunk lid does not hit the garage door on the way up, just in case. :wink:

fob.jpg

If the open mechanism *isn't* disabled when the car is stationary, what prevents accidental opening of the trunk when stopped at a traffic light?

This actually happened to me this morning while at a red light. I'm stopped, car in D, foot on the brake. The trunk opens (which freaked me out). I immediately go the controls to close it and see that the trunk button is greyed out - which it should be given that the car is in D. I put the car in P and the button now appears, hit it and the trunk closes.

It then dawns me that the most likely culprit is the key in my pocket -- I too have the leather FOB pictured above. But, what concerned me is that why would the key be able to open the trunk while in D but the control panel (center screen) won't allow it (being, appropriately, greyed out). So, once I got to my parking lot, I stopped, car still in D, foot on brake, pulled out my key, double clicked on the trunk section, and the trunk opened.

Can anyone else try to recreate this? If so, this feature should be corrected to mirror the control panel -- while the car is in D the trunk opening function of the FOB should be disabled.

I checked my leather case to see if it were folded over like @liuping suggested. I didn't see any indication in the leather of wear or creasing so I think mine was triggering off the snap alone.

I did not, in the end, bother contacting Tesla for logs-- it doesn't seem necessary given my "experiments".

As @pete8314 mentioned, I did contact him privately-- concerned that someone's property could be stolen or their Tesla damaged (rain was my concern). He was gracious and runs his business with the same customer service creed that Tesla does.

Since I've gone over 3 weeks now without a repeat of the random opening and after my own tinkering, however, I do disagree with him that this design "feature" is desired. I think it is a flaw-- potentially a serious one. While I've discontinued use of the leather cover I may still use it at times when I will be sufficiently far from the car because it does look fabulous!

Good news for @pete8314 is that I absolutely love and adore the silicone fob cover!! I bought one immediately after starting this thread and have been using it ever since (you can find my review on his website-- it's the NAKED one). It is a superb cover and I can't imagine a better way for you to invest $7 or so on your Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked my leather case to see if it were folded over like @liuping suggested. I didn't see any indication in the leather of wear or creasing so I think mine was triggering off the snap alone.

I did not, in the end, bother contacting Tesla for logs-- it doesn't seem necessary given my "experiments".

As @pete8314 mentioned, I did contact him privately-- concerned that someone's property could be stolen or their Tesla damaged (rain was my concern). He was gracious and runs his business with the same customer service creed that Tesla does.

Since I've gone over 3 weeks now without a repeat of the random opening and after my own tinkering, however, I do disagree with him that this design "feature" is desired. I think it is a flaw-- potentially a serious one. While I've discontinued use of the leather cover I may still use it at times when I will be sufficiently far from the car because it does look fabulous!

Good news for @pete8314 is that I absolutely love and adore the silicone fob cover!! I bought one immediately after starting this thread and have been using it ever since (you can find my review on his website-- it's the NAKED one). It is a superb cover and I can't imagine a better way for you to invest $7 or so on your Tesla.

I agree... they're fantastic. Even the Tesla Service Center was impressed with it when I dropped my car off for service. I picked up a couple (and one of the leather ones too) at TMC Connect.

Thanks for the kind words about the Silicone FobPockets.

We love our leather ones too, but want to make sure everyone is happy with them. Let me first say, if you're not, just ping us at [email protected] and we'll do whatever we need to make it right. They are positioned slightly differently to the silicone versions; the latter being the fun, cheap and hardwearing option, and the leather being the slightly more fancy option, with the hidden pocket for a spare battery.

In terms of the leather FobPockets, we're out of stock of the black embossed version, and almost out of the brown versions. more stock will arrive soon, and we're also working on a couple of new options, a black leather option with perforations that expose the red lining (it looks very cool, but still quite restrained), and a more natural/distressed version which looks really nice, and is something that will improve with ago.

Back to the problem at hand....outside of this thread there's been no concerns I'm aware of about the trunk inadvertently opening, and if you've tried to do it, it really does take quite a deliberate double-press, but that's not to say if the FobPocket is in your pocket, and already under some kind of pressure, that it could be easier to trigger the trunk opening. If this is a concern, I would suggest that you turn the key upside down in the FobPocket; the leather variant is essentially the same shape on both sides, and this would certainly help prevent the fastener adding to the possibility of an inadvertent double-press.

I promise we welcome all feedback, good and not so good, we're constantly trying to improve and evolve our products, so keep it coming :)

Pete

i recently received 2 silicone pockets and LOVE LOVE LOVE them. so happy with them, thank you Pete!! they add virtually no bulk and no weight to the existing key and look/feel terrific. i removed the supplied chain and replaced with the stainless steel Tesla lanyards that came with our factory keys.

they also have the added benefit of pointing out where the buttons are (in a tasteful and simple way) on the key without removing the key, and prevents inadvertent frunk/trunk opening by valets, friends, family, etc. so smart!! the leather ones are beautiful but i think the snap closure right at the trunk button probably causes some unwanted pressing of that button when in your pocket?

BTW - the SAs at my local SC were passing it around when i was there last time and all asking where i found them and how awesome they were. i told them about Abstract Ocean and they looked it up and probably will be recommending it to other customers looking for key protection. Thanks again!

...BTW - the SAs at my local SC were passing it around when i was there last time and all asking where i found them and how awesome they were. i told them about Abstract Ocean and they looked it up and probably will be recommending it to other customers looking for key protection. Thanks again!

Thanks! That kind of word-of-mouth stuff really helps. There's been a few large orders lately from locations mysteriously close to service centers, but nothing definitive in terms of actually being delivered to a SC. I wrote to Tesla again yesterday, maybe I'll get a reply.

Thanks for the kind words about the Silicone FobPockets.

Back to the problem at hand....outside of this thread there's been no concerns I'm aware of about the trunk inadvertently opening, and if you've tried to do it, it really does take quite a deliberate double-press, but that's not to say if the FobPocket is in your pocket, and already under some kind of pressure, that it could be easier to trigger the trunk opening. If this is a concern, I would suggest that you turn the key upside down in the FobPocket; the leather variant is essentially the same shape on both sides, and this would certainly help prevent the fastener adding to the possibility of an inadvertent double-press.

I promise we welcome all feedback, good and not so good, we're constantly trying to improve and evolve our products, so keep it coming :)

Pete

The funny thing is as soon as I saw the title to this thread I thought to myself "I wonder if he has a FOB pocket?"

I will also add that I have accidently pressed the button in my pocket with my leather FOB carrier. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the look of it and I have gotten complements on it quite a bit. The biggest issue is if I have stuff in my pockets or if I am carrying heavy items it can trigger the button on the FOB.

Either way it's not coming off of my FOB since it adds a nice look to it and protects it also. Not to mention that my top button cover came off of my FOB and my non-artistic skills putting it back on with superglue ended in some smears of glue that won't come off.

No problems with trunk opening using the Fob Pocket. Of course, I never had a problem using the thumb drive case either, but after a week in my pocket the thumb drive case tends to look like something the cat played with.