Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trunk opens half way

echin

Jul 31, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
my back trunk opens only about half way with the keyfob and with the control screen... to open it 'all the way', it has to be manually pushed open (vertically)... initially i thought it was while in a garage space, but the same occurs in an open parking lot. is this normal, or a mechanical error? any way to override like the falcon doors? thanks.

travwill

May 1, 2015
Marble Falls, TX
Yes, set the button at max height. If there is something detected above the car though, that the FWDs would hit or trunk sensor would hit, it still won't open all the way.

PeteP

Oct 8, 2015
Los Angeles
This is hugely annoying. There is enough clearance in my garage for it to open fully, but it keeps resetting to the 50% position. I spoke to the service center about this and they said that it is a "safety" setting. Frankly, that's BS. This is a setting that is designed only to prevent further embarrassing episodes where early models had their doors bang into walls and other obstructions. It is not "safe" for me to keep banging my head on the trunk because it won't open. Get you act together guys.

bushburner

Aug 25, 2016
new orleans, la
This is hugely annoying. There is enough clearance in my garage for it to open fully, but it keeps resetting to the 50% position. I spoke to the service center about this and they said that it is a "safety" setting. Frankly, that's BS. This is a setting that is designed only to prevent further embarrassing episodes where early models had their doors bang into walls and other obstructions. It is not "safe" for me to keep banging my head on the trunk because it won't open. Get you act together guys.
same here, guess there isn't a fix for it yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: HabitualUser

Lipsyte

Jan 15, 2017
SoCal
Same issue here as PeteP. My garage has all the clearance to open all the way but the trunk will only open to 50/60%. Even after doing the manual opening and saving it. It will also do this outside of my garage (gps probably think I'm still inside). This seems like a fairly simple fix and it would be appreciated.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
i agree petep - mine is the same... and even outside the garage in open air, it gets confused and opens half way despite programming as per the discussion above.

I recall from a different thread that if you hit this in the garage (with confusing obstacles that the car can't make sense of and errs on the side of caution) and then just back it out outside it keeps the same settings since you haven't moved the car a great distance it assumes that confusing obstacles might still be there.

My garage has beams and not a flat ceiling directly above the car, which confuses the heck out of the sensors. When I back out in the driveway it often still feels unsure and applies the limit.

stefan.bc

I see dead headlights!
Jan 14, 2017
OR
This happened to me today in an open parking lot. Maybe it's because we stay to close to the trunk. Or maybe we are supposed to use the centre console to open the trunk ;)

bak_phy

Jun 15, 2016
New Jersey
Same here. The trunk only opens half way in garage despite there being lots of room. It's very annoying.
Tesla should let us open the trunk to whatever height we want, where ever we want. All other cars have let me and somehow I didn't destroy any of them.

Lycanthrope

S3XY old dude
Supporting Member
Nov 15, 2013
At home
Just got delivery of my X the other day and I have this problem too. Plenty of space in my garage for both the FWD and the trunk to open, but neither open fully. Same in a parking I used, loads of headroom, but... FWD's open fully outside, I need to test the frunk.

It's seriously annoying.

Peteybabes

redneck drivin' a tesla...
Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2016
'murica
in a situation like this, i just open the falcon wing doors to make sure they go all the way up. if they don't but i have enough room above the car then i override them to full height then hit the "full open at this location" button.

this allows the trunk to open to full height as well...

• Informative
Reactions: kevinof and beths11

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC