Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Security

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I'm a new Tesla owner so maybe I'm late to the party. I haven't seen this discussed in a clear manner (or at least clear to me) but what's all the hoopla about breaking the small window, putting down your rear set and getting into the trunk? Isn't the trunk still locked at that point? Unless they take a crowbar to your trunk (and why bother to break the small window then?) isn't your trunk secure? (or at least as secure as anyone else's?). Why does anyone need the 3D doohickeys being talked about? Thanks, Bill

Unlike most sedans, Tesla implements the seat-back release mechanism on the inside of the vehicle and right next to the small window. Other sedans have it either near the middle of the rear seats or only in the trunk. As you may have read about SUV/Hatchbacks (like the VW Golf), they have the same folding mechanism by their small rear windows and allows thieves to pull the seat backs down to have visibility into your trunk.

With a hook they can pull out some goods...if you have things valuable enough worth really grabbing, they'll proceed to smash the larger window and have at it. To be very clear, this isn't a Tesla specific problem.

Unlike most sedans, Tesla implements the seat-back release mechanism on the inside of the vehicle and right next to the small window. Other sedans have it either near the middle of the rear seats or only in the trunk.

Or in the case of my old ICE the latch was next to the window but it clearly had a locking key to keep the valet out.

It's stupid if a valet key doesn't open the glovebox or trunk but the seatbacks have no lock, or the unlock isn't in the trunk instead of inside on seats..

I've seen a few potential solutions to this problem -- the red lock things that are in the Electrek article above, a clear protector for that little window, and a more involved looking "shield" for the window.

Anyone try any of these solutions? Any good/bad stories with them?

I recently read that the frunk can no longer be opened unless the car battery is dead. This was based on the Model Y manual so I am not sure if we need to wait for an update on the Model 3.

The Model 3 Owner's Manual currently says "Note: The following will not open the front trunk if Model 3 is locked and has 12V power."

I tried it in January 2019, but I can't remember if my car was locked when I tried it. I went back to the Model 3 Owners Manual - Version November 2018 (which was the current version at that time, when I tried it) and the Note quoted above was not mentioned in the Opening Hood With No Power section..

The Model 3 Owner's Manual currently says "Note: The following will not open the front trunk if Model 3 is locked and has 12V power."

I tried it in January 2019, but I can't remember if my car was locked when I tried it. I went back to the Model 3 Owners Manual - Version November 2018 (which was the current version at that time, when I tried it) and the Note quoted above was not mentioned in the Opening Hood With No Power section..

Yeah the ability to open it when you shouldn't be able to was supposedly fixed in a software update- I never keep anything in the frunk so never checked if it was really fixed though

Reactions: Leeclanual
Tesla should implement a PIN code option for the trunk and frunk so the compartments can be better secured and add the trunk disable to valet parking parking mode. Having the rear seat latches in the interior of the car that are not electronically locked when the car is parked is just plain stupid. When you have a purely mechanical rear seat release system, the release should to be in the trunk, otherwise the trunk is totally insecure and you get all the window smashing you see with the Model 3 in the Bay Area and other crime ridden areas of the country.

The 3D printed latches that you can install in the trunk are a good workaround to protect your valuables left in the trunk. However, if you valet park your car, they will not prevent the valet from opening your trunk. Tesla Valet Mode only disables access to the frunk and glovebox; the trunk is not locked in valet mode. Not sure why that is the case. Maybe they thought that since the latches are inside the car, there was not point to secure the trunk. I rarely valet park so the chances of having something valuable I need to lock in the trunk when valet parking is very low. But for some this can be a problem.

Thread on the 3D printed latches:

My first latch printed about to be installed. Now wondering if in addition to a broken window, will end up with a broken seat latch if they yank on it and it's locked in place. Maybe best to leave the 3D latch unlocked unless there is something valuable in the trunk to prevent additional damage to the car.

IMG_4548.jpg

San Francisco get's hit with the broken rear window more than anywhere it seems. But then California, and especially LA/OC & SF have likely the greatest Tesla density too.

Rule of thumb seems to be just leaving the rear seats down so they can look inside and see nothing in the trunk.

My thing is many of these people always hit the same window and know more people don't have locked rear seats on the Tesla. I would think they are smart enough to know the trunk has a false floor with more space underneath too. So what would be the point; except maybe they can't get to it without crawling it, pulling emergency release, and then opening it.

It's also been recommended to do the 3D prints in red. Also print out a locked red stick and put on inside seat release.

@jeremymc7 - The 3D printed parts are not visible from inside the car or from outside so the color doesn't matter. The mechanism is inside the trunk. I installed the 3D printed lock on one seat tonight and thought of a much easier and practically free alternative that doesn't require anything 3D printed. Will test my idea later this week and share if it works.

I can't stand the riffraff in CA that our politicians coddle and encourage to come here. If I lived in an area of CA where breaking out windows was a frequent event, my solution would involve alterations to the thief and not the car.

The red in the inside is so you can see the part for ease of viability and we’re visavlw to the driver. Guess they changed that. Otherwise it’s a dark cavern and hard to see. But there were also many designs.

The 3D prints I saw two years ago when people started doing this also replaced the inside lever with a red printed replacement. Seems like too much extra work when a sticker will work just as well.

I’ve also seen some design that used cheap metal parts from Home Depot.