Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk separator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for some kind of net or piece of plastic that compartmentalizes the trunk. I'm not looking for a "trunk organizer" that is simply a folder box.

I need something that will stop sizable heavy equipment from shifting around in the back and scuffing up the trunk plastic (the part attached to the trunk when you open it). This is especially annoying because it stops me from accelerating quickly, or even at normal paces depending on what can slide around back there.

I havent seen a product online for this, just "trunk organizers". Has anyone figured out a DIY was of doing this?

A net or piece of plastic to prevent "sizable heavy equipment" from sliding around? My definition of sizable heavy equipment must be a lot different than yours if it can fit in the trunk and a net or a piece of plastic can stop it from moving around.

Anyhow, start with a rubber trunk liner or cargo tray. That should prevent alot of sliding. Then you can search for a couple threads on custom tie downs that people have made. You can then attach ropes, bungees, nets or whatever to tie down and secure the "sizable heavy equipment".

Reactions: Dana1
A net or piece of plastic to prevent "sizable heavy equipment" from sliding around? My definition of sizable heavy equipment must be a lot different than yours if it can fit in the trunk and a net or a piece of plastic can stop it from moving around.

Anyhow, start with a rubber trunk liner or cargo tray. That should prevent alot of sliding. Then you can search for a couple threads on custom tie downs that people have made. You can then attach ropes, bungees, nets or whatever to tie down and secure the "sizable heavy equipment".

Item goes in trunk. Item slides into the back of the trunk when accelerating. Net stops this from happening.

I bought this. It helps a lot to avoid sliding.

Model 3 All-Weather Cargo Mats

$130 for rear.
These are actually just as bad. Basically I'm carrying tall plastic 5 gallon tubs of liquid around. They need to face up to avoid leaking. I'm hoping the net whill catch them if they attempt to slide back into the rear trunk plastic where it has already scuffed it a few times.

Ok, I found a cheap and simple solution that requires nothing but folding back a few pieces of the felt. No drilling or removing the trunk liner.

There are 4 spots midway through the trunk that you can half-ass latch the hooks from the $10 net I got on amazon into.

Pics of the hooks and setup: Imgur

The downside is that the hooks on the bottom side make the felt and plastic trunk cover fold in a bit. I'm sure drilling smaller holes with grommets or something could make it look better if desired.

It's also not the most desirable spot for loading bags of groceries but it's not unusable either.

For me, it will also act as a literal safety net when accelerating and carrying heavier items so that my trunk plastic in the rear stops getting scuffed.

Milk crate was mentioned but I use a folding crate and it works well to keep stuff rolling around then folds flat out of the way for larger items, better than a net.

Large items are the things I'm trying to keep from sliding into the back of the trunk. 12x12x24 inch 5 gallon plastic water jugs. I already went over this in this thread. I also already stated I have an organizer box for my car wash stuff and that sits in the bottom section of the trunk.